Night riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a back light jump off my bike
happened to me a cpl times before I added a rubber band type product as security for the locking clip

Lovacott

Über Member
One good light that you can see while riding is better than two worse ones you can't. That's why I prefer rack or stay mount lights to seatpost ones, but I think we've had this discussion a few times before.
I have three good lights, all independently visible and all mounted on the rack.

One battery operated, one USB rechargeable, one Dynamo.

All on constant, not flashing.

My commute is an hour long and I hit traffic about 45 minutes in. I want to know that I have at least one working light when I hit that traffic.

Lovacott

Über Member
And still, the only way you will is by looking at them!
I can't do that because I have a pannier box on the back which obscures them unless I am on a pitch black lane.

Three independent lights on the back means that there is practically zero chance that all three of them would fail on a ride out.

Having spent time in hospital 30 years ago after being sideswiped by a car, I am not taking any chances.

at night, in the woods I can turn my head & twist my body enough to check the rear light. of course I don't need a rear light in the woods

on the road, I can do the same even in daylight, at traffic lights. but yeah, they're no good if they're not working, or no longer attached to the bike!

the nice thing about the light on my drop bar is, I can easily glance down to check it

Last edited:

Lovacott

Über Member
at night, in the woods I can turn my head & twist my body enough to check the rear light. of course I don't need a rear light in the woods

on the road, I can do the same even in daylight, at traffic lights. but yeah, they're no good if they're not working, or longer attached to the bike!

the nice thing about the light on my drop bar is, I can easily glance down to check it

I check my rear lights when I set off and once again when I arrive. In between, I rely on the basic law that three different well maintained devices with independent power sources won't all fail in a one single hour time slot.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I check my rear lights when I set off and once again when I arrive. In between, I rely on the basic law that three different well maintained devices with independent power sources won't all fail in a one single hour time slot.
It may be improbable but it's not impossible. I'd still check immediately before joining a busy road. It's a good habit to get into, like testing brakes every time you start off.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
As you pass signs on the opposite side of road in dark lanes you should be able to see the red reflected on them. In lit streets glance in shop windows to see if rear lights working.

Lovacott

Über Member
It may be improbable but it's not impossible. I'd still check immediately before joining a busy road. It's a good habit to get into, like testing brakes every time you start off.
I get your point but I'd rather not be dismounting every five minutes.

Hence the three independently powered rear lights.

Solocle

Über Member
I take occasional glances rearward, I generally can see the glare of the light.

It's a bit hard to afford the luxury of multiple lights running, particularly on Audaxes. I prefer to keep a spare for when the battery's running low.
1606588817187.png

Worrying about the rear doesn't do a lot about the ease with which I can take a wrong turn, though. The most spectacular of which was here. I thought something was wrong, so stopped, and even took a picture. But the road sign had said that the A40 was 2nd left, and this was 2nd left...
1606588210903.png

The gate being left open wasn't particularly helpful, either! :eek:
1606588466202.png

1606588565190.png

The road number was right, at least. And it wasn't for very long.
1606589043276.png

Lovacott

Über Member
Still not positive confirmation. If none of @YukonBoy's ideas work, you could mount a small ball on a skewer projecting past the back of the pannier box to catch the red light and be visible to you.
I think I'll give that idea a miss if you don't mind.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I had a back light jump off my bike during a winter morning commute years ago. I didn’t notice till I reached work. I left work a little earlier that day to get as far home as possible before sunset. Just as the light was fading in the evening I came across my light at the side of a ford. It was still flashing away. I put it back on and continued on my way.

Picked up and still flashing. Sounds familiar.

Top Bottom