Nights Closing In

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Starting to notice it, getting fed up already. Last couple of years I've started really disliking winter. Used to enjoy 'cross in winter and liked snow, now I'm already thinking of the three months of miserable dark drizzly shoot. Soon as December hits I'm longing for March when I can leave work in daylight.

[QUOTE 4916880, member: 43827"]Don't remind me.

I hate the increased darkness between October and April. Nothing to do with the cold weather or the cycling as I'm retired and can ride in the daytime. I just hate long nights.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm a SAD bastard, too. :sad:

Winter sun helps, though. :sun::becool:

Slick

Guru
It's not as important to me now I've changed profession, but in a past life when I was out in the elements all day every day, in my mind winter didn't begin until Christmas, which was still okay as I had always 2 weeks off anyway to shelter from the worst of it. Spring would start as soon as the first of the February snow started to melt off the surrounding hills meaning my winter was never longer than 8 weeks long. Might not be scientific, but it got me through a number of dark mornings.

Starting to notice it, getting fed up already. Last couple of years I've started really disliking winter. Used to enjoy 'cross in winter and liked snow, now I'm already thinking of the three months of miserable dark drizzly shoot. Soon as December hits I'm longing for March when I can leave work in daylight.
By mid February i can normally get home from work in the light 5 o'clock (ish)

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Sigh.

I noticed it too earlier this week. I finish work at 8pm normally and there's normally a fair amount of daylight left for my ride home but i have noticed it being darker then normal...

I was hoping for another heatwave of sorts so i could get more rides in but autumn be soon approaching :sad: this August is going to be a rather depressing one and not because its my birthday next week either :sad:

classic33

Leg End Member
Less to see in the dark as well
Could be better, whats there might be viewing it's next "meal on wheels" delivery.

Give the eyes time to adjust and you'll see a lot more.

Hyslop

Veteran
Just put the lights on,mind you it's been a gloomy day all round.However,the night's seem to have been drawing in for some time in these parts.To make matters worse,I noticed yesterday that the Swallows and Swift's were fewer in number and the brambles were ripening.Here we go I'm afraid.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I quite like the autumnal feel. Nowt like riding to work on a crisp fresh morning, as the sun thinks about coming up; with the mist in the valley bottoms, and the smell of winter in the air.

Not so nice admittedly when it's lashing it down, and cars are throwing cold water up at you, but every days not a winner.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just put the lights on,mind you it's been a gloomy day all round.However,the night's seem to have been drawing in for some time in these parts.To make matters worse,I noticed yesterday that the Swallows and Swift's were fewer in number and the brambles were ripening.Here we go I'm afraid.
Another month and they'll have their travel plans ready for the off.

Top Bottom