Nishiki Linear Track Pursuit Conversion?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smakkk

I was wondering what you guys think of this build? I just bought it for $300, I think its a good deal with the parts it comes with. I know usually conversions are frowned upon, but I've done some research that this bike have no trouble skidding and I want that funny bike/ track/ pursuit look.

Please let me know what you guys think of the bike!

I'm planning to paint it silver or strip off all the paint and polish it to have a chrome look and have everything else black!

Nishiki Linear TT frame
H+ sons Rear wheel
Cinelli Stem
Surgino Messenger + Dura Ace Crank
Mavic headset

6i6t88.jpg

2na74oj.jpg

2rcy3wy.jpg

rr5a4j.jpg

2ldzx9d.jpg

14wd4ao.jpg

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
It is a wonderful frame if genuine. The best thing is that you haven't removed the gear hanger or guides. That really would be awful.

There is a chap on here @midlife along with @biggs682 who will know about the frame. It is 80/90s which was an era before the UCI strangled design and innovation of design. Bikes could dare to be different from each other.

I have a Gazelle TT bike with old Mavic that I keep meaning to take some pictures of. Yours might have inspired me to do that.

If that is a DA track crank it is worth good money. Do you use it on a track? I bet the frame build alignment is spot on.

midlife

Guru
Slightly late for me I'm afraid , I'm a child of the 1970's ................... although the rear hub looks about as old as I am LOL

Interesting frame with the Lo-Pro design, Hellenic rear triangle and the cable stop on the top of the chain stay :biggrin:

Shaun

ayceejay

Guru
There is something odd about that crank set. Dura Ace track systems take a chain ring of 144 BCD but the Sugino Messenger ring shown here is 130 BCD,

OP
OP
S

Smakkk

There is something odd about that crank set. Dura Ace track systems take a chain ring of 144 BCD but the Sugino Messenger ring shown here is 130 BCD,

I think its cause the Octalink is for road bikes maybe? And the Track crank is for fixed gears or track bikes? Could that be the thing? I looked up Octalink Dura Ace on ebay and they are all for road bikes :sad:

OP
OP
S

Smakkk

It is a wonderful frame if genuine. The best thing is that you haven't removed the gear hanger or guides. That really would be awful.

There is a chap on here @midlife along with @biggs682 who will know about the frame. It is 80/90s which was an era before the UCI strangled design and innovation of design. Bikes could dare to be different from each other.

I have a Gazelle TT bike with old Mavic that I keep meaning to take some pictures of. Yours might have inspired me to do that.

If that is a DA track crank it is worth good money. Do you use it on a track? I bet the frame build alignment is spot on.

Haha niceee! Post up pictures!! I actually checked and it is a Nishiki Linear! Yeah Im planning to use it on a track actually! I just wanna get everything read for it! haha

And thanks for the comments it helped me feel good about my purchase!

OP
OP
S

Smakkk

@Smakkk that looks superb seems a shame to use as a single speed hipster machine but i suppose that better than not using it at all .

Always fancied a lo pro but never had one YET .

My knowledge on them is limited lets hope @midlife has more joy

Have you tried posting on the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/80sCycling/ ?

Haha thanks man! Im using it for track actually, I like the low pro look but I don't want to dishout $500 for a frame you know, so I rather pay $300 for the complete build :/ I will however change out for better parts with this build :/

ayceejay

Guru
I think its cause the Octalink is for road bikes maybe? And the Track crank is for fixed gears or track bikes? Could that be the thing? I looked up Octalink Dura Ace on ebay and they are all for road bikes :sad:
Octalink is a splined interface between BB and crank set that is no longer made but was available for track and double. What has happened here is that a double crank set that does have a 130 BCD has been used missing out the inner ring and installing the messenger. You need to check the chain line.

OP
OP
S

Smakkk

Octalink is a splined interface between BB and crank set that is no longer made but was available for track and double. What has happened here is that a double crank set that does have a 130 BCD has been used missing out the inner ring and installing the messenger. You need to check the chain line.

Ayceejay, so is that a bad thing? :/ is the my double crankset not worth as much as the track? Or not as good as the track? or will not perform as well with a double opposed to a track? Sorry I'm new to this :/ Can you elaborate if its bad or what my crankset is all about? :sad:

ayceejay

Guru
Ayceejay, so is that a bad thing? :/ is the my double crankset not worth as much as the track? Or not as good as the track? or will not perform as well with a double opposed to a track? Sorry I'm new to this :/ Can you elaborate if its bad or what my crankset is all about? :sad:
Dura Ace is a fine bit of kit and in the top range in terms of quality and price and the one you have is equal to the track version in this regard. Having said that the track version would obviously be better for your purpose than a conversion simply because it is made for that purpose, the Sugino chain ring is not of a similar quality but the DA version is not made in that size. A track crank set will come with a 110mm axle on the bottom bracket and the double is either 109 mm or 118 mm, what this means, especially as the rear end is a conversion too, is that the chain may not be in line which will make things wear out quicker. While you are checking this out make sure that chain, sprocket and chain ring are all the same width either 1/8 or 3/32.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
They did some really extreme position bikes for the track where the handlebars attached to the fork crown. Stems were for losers! My back goes out just looking at them.

OP
OP
S

Smakkk

Dura Ace is a fine bit of kit and in the top range in terms of quality and price and the one you have is equal to the track version in this regard. Having said that the track version would obviously be better for your purpose than a conversion simply because it is made for that purpose, the Sugino chain ring is not of a similar quality but the DA version is not made in that size. A track crank set will come with a 110mm axle on the bottom bracket and the double is either 109 mm or 118 mm, what this means, especially as the rear end is a conversion too, is that the chain may not be in line which will make things wear out quicker. While you are checking this out make sure that chain, sprocket and chain ring are all the same width either 1/8 or 3/32.

Thanks for the advice and help ayceejay! I paid $300 for this build, do you think its worth it? and how much do you think this build cost? :/

Top Bottom