nitrogen tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
I believe Formula One cars use nitrogen because the pressure in the tyre hardly varies with temperature.

Important if you need to maintain pressure to the nearest psi in all conditions.

Irrelevant to the rest of us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_laws

pressure will increase with an increase in temperature unless the total molecules also reduces.

ye cannae change he laws of physics.

for steel wheels and tubeless tyres I can see a minor benefit in that wiuth no Oxygen present any moisture that may condense on the inside will not be able to corrode the steel as we all know corrosion needs the oxygum .

subaqua

What’s the point
Nitrogen is used in shock absorbers due to low or now water content so pressure is stable and no corosion.
as above have said...

put nitrous oxide in them if you want a laugh?
plus water doesn't compress

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_laws

pressure will increase with an increase in temperature unless the total molecules also reduces.

ye cannae change he laws of physics.

for steel wheels and tubeless tyres I can see a minor benefit in that wiuth no Oxygen present any moisture that may condense on the inside will not be able to corrode the steel as we all know corrosion needs the oxygum .

F1 rules on the topic:

12.7.1 Tyres may only be inflated with air or nitrogen.
12.7.2 Any process the intent of which is to reduce the amount of moisture in the tyre and/or in its inflation gas is forbidden.

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/technical_regulations/8712/fia.html

I wonder why a 'dry' gas is forbidden.

subaqua

What’s the point
F1 rules on the topic:

12.7.1 Tyres may only be inflated with air or nitrogen.
12.7.2 Any process the intent of which is to reduce the amount of moisture in the tyre and/or in its inflation gas is forbidden.

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/technical_regulations/8712/fia.html

I wonder why a 'dry' gas is forbidden.

I wonder how they get wet nitrogen gas, most of it goes through a drier at the gas bottling plant, BOC market it as dry too ? one of the favourites at college was to dismantle a incandescent lamp and put the filament into liquid nitrogen then switch on. everybody thought the circuit would pop as it is a liquid but the lamp stays lit as the tungsten filament is protected by the gas created as the nitrogen warms up.

Control air systems at work use filtered dry air, it's run through a refrigeration plant to remove moisture. There can be a fair bit of water in it depending on humidity.
Nitrogen is used as a moisture scavenger in large fridge systems before its filled with the refrigerant gas after maintenance. Moisture in fridges is a bad thing.

As for helium, isn't partly the reason helium party balloons are foil is because the stuff permeates through rubber quickly?

PpPete

Legendary Member
I one of the favourites at college was to dismantle a incandescent lamp and put the filament into liquid nitrogen then switch on. everybody thought the circuit would pop as it is a liquid but the lamp stays lit as the tungsten filament is protected by the gas created as the nitrogen warms up.

Doesn't have to be as hot as filament lamp either... //DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME// but you can immerse your hand in liquid nitrogen - and be protected by the gas barrier. The initial sensation is that of putting your hand in a cold fizzy drink. Somewhere between 1 second and 2 seconds after immersion things start to get just a little less comfortable.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I wonder how they get wet nitrogen gas, most of it goes through a drier at the gas bottling plant, BOC market it as dry too ? one of the favourites at college was to dismantle a incandescent lamp and put the filament into liquid nitrogen then switch on. everybody thought the circuit would pop as it is a liquid but the lamp stays lit as the tungsten filament is protected by the gas created as the nitrogen warms up.
See the 2014 RI Xmas lectures for a demonstration. :thumbsup:

PpPete

Legendary Member
What is this "air from co2" ?
There is a small amount (very much smaller %age than N2 or O2) of CO2 in the mixture.

The reason tyres inflated using CO2 cylinders go soft quicker than those pumped up with air has been explained upthread.

SWSteve

Guru
I believe Formula One cars use nitrogen because the pressure in the tyre hardly varies with temperature.

Important if you need to maintain pressure to the nearest psi in all conditions.

Irrelevant to the rest of us.

They previously used Helium for their gas powered Wheel-guns, but this stopped 1-2 seasons ago, but there was a decision to stop this as it is a limited resource and the use of it in these guns was excessive.
In my understanding Helium was used in this instance as there was a smaller difference in temperature when at a higher pressure and as a result reliability was increased. I don't know about it's use in tyres, but wouldn't be surprised, they push these far beyond their operational limits, and then complain about this...but that's off topic.

Top Bottom