No cable stops for bar/gear change ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,

I am about to do a bar change on an old 80's racer/road bike (I cannot get on with drop bars) When I do change the bars I intend to change from down tube shifters to bar shifters but there are no cable stops on the frame, How do I get around this ? As it's only a ride to work/local commuter and I'm a skinflint I don't wish to spend a a fortune ,What is my best option ?

Thanks all

You can get cable tops that bolt onto the downtube shifter bosses on the frame. Any bike shop will have it.

Sharky

Guru
Just run outer cables all way down to the gears. Use colour matched insulation tape round the cables/frame to keep in place.
Works fine.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
+1 from me,

DSCN0059.JPG

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Brake outers stiffen and try to straighten a bit when the brake is applied, so zipties would be better than tape there.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
It is the band on type gear shifters I have Spiderweb so they will do a great job. I cannot use cables with outers all the way (that was my first idea) because there is a guide which goes around the bottom bracket and then sends the inner cable direct to the front gear changer with no cable stops, the rear I would get away with. Thanks everyone for your help.

si_c

Guru
It is the band on type gear shifters I have Spiderweb so they will do a great job. I cannot use cables with outers all the way (that was my first idea) because there is a guide which goes around the bottom bracket and then sends the inner cable direct to the front gear changer with no cable stops, the rear I would get away with. Thanks everyone for your help.

You might find that you can remove the friction shifters from the band that goes around the downtube, if so then you will be able to fit cable stops to this.

Gatters

3XqDUFR.jpg

6uQA0L4.jpg

I've just been down this route, many older frames were fitted with band-on shifters, having tried and failed to use shimano band it was clear to see I needed a band that had the square shaped locator that those stops rely on, then it was just a case of running a tap down the boss to suit the screws of the adjuster/stops...5mm I think it was

Top Bottom