No childcare, no work.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Why don't people get snowchains in this country? I got mine off Amazon, a pair for the front wheels only, cost me all of £30 with the delivery! When I go clattering past on tarmac, pedestrians stop and stare at me in amazement!

XmisterIS said:
Why don't people get snowchains in this country? I got mine off Amazon, a pair for the front wheels only, cost me all of £30 with the delivery!

Having driven home from work in four inches of snow on Tuesday night in a two wheel drive car with no snowchains and no real bother, I'd say they aren't really necessary. They'd take all the fun out of it.:angry:

jeltz

Veteran
Hopefully the management will be sharp enough to notice who's taking the mick, who's had genuine problems and who has made it in no matter how difficult. When it comes time for promotions/redundancies that should be remembered.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Rhythm Thief said:
Having driven home from work in four inches of snow on Tuesday night in a two wheel drive car with no snowchains and no real bother, I'd say they aren't really necessary. They'd take all the fun out of it.:angry:

+1 for 2 days a year its not worth it...

Although after having a powerful rear wheel drive car for the last 3.5 years and recently changing for a 4x4 its just no fun at all to drive in the snow anymore, so I walked to work today.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
jeltz said:
Hopefully the management will be sharp enough to notice who's taking the mick, who's had genuine problems and who has made it in no matter how difficult. When it comes time for promotions/redundancies that should be remembered.
I had a chat with my MD once and he told me that he'd been going over the company records and had spotted an employee who was "taking the piss".

This man had one or two days off sick virtually every month, always on a Monday or a Friday, sometimes a Friday and the following Monday. It was quite obvious that he was taking long weekends, either to party, or to get over partying.

I asked what the MD was going to do about it. He said that the employee did a reasonable job when he was at work and the company could do without the hassle of trying to sack him, but this behaviour would not be forgotten. He would never be promoted and he would get smaller pay rises than he otherwise would have had. In the end he was at the head of the queue when the company had to make redundancies.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
ColinJ said:
He would never be promoted and he would get smaller pay rises than he otherwise would have had. In the end he was at the head of the queue when the company had to make redundancies.

I used to work with a guy who was blatantly a raging alcoholic, he was actually demoted and was given a pay cut. Suddenly he was the underdog to the people who's manager he'd been! Can you imagine the shame? I think I'd quit! He didn't, he was too pissed. I think he still "works" there now.

Our MD decided that non attendance due to bad weather should not be punished but taken as additional holiday entitlement. The same additional entitlement was also given to those who made it in. So a colleague who lives the wrong side of the Chilterns stayed at home; I walked in and gained 2 extra days holiday for later in the year.

Not sure when I'm going to fit it all in - I started with 8 days b/fwd, get 26 days, extra 2 snow days all to be used by end of May. In March I upgrade to a 4 day week in preparation for retirement in August.

wafflycat

ttcycle said:
This is a useful link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8442851.stm

To the poster who mentioned that there pay was being docked - legally they're not allowed to do that ie make deductions from pay without your agreement as the snow is outside of your control

What is said was:-

"Employees have statutory protection against an unauthorised deduction being made from their wages, so if the employer has no contractual right to deduct pay and if the employee does not consent, deducting pay would be potentially subject to legal challenge."

So in practical terms, how many employees have the financial ability to take legal action against their employer? And how many would do it as it risks making them effectively unemployable - how many companies are likely to want to take on someone probably considered to be a 'troublemaker'?

But this is digressing, I know.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
waffly - the short answer is you do it collectively so the employer can't pick people off one by one and probably with the support of a union in the workpalce- that's a very short answer mind you.

Legal action doesn't necessarily make you unemployable and with workplace deductions it doesn't necessarily need to come to legal action - taking a stance together is sometimes enough but it doesn't stop there sometimes, better that than letting them do something that is illegal

wafflycat

ttcycle said:
waffly - the short answer is you do it collectively so the employer can't pick people off one by one and probably with the support of a union in the workpalce- that's a very short answer mind you.

Legal action doesn't necessarily make you unemployable and with workplace deductions it doesn't necessarily need to come to legal action - taking a stance together is sometimes enough but it doesn't stop there sometimes, better that than letting them do something that is illegal

That's a delightfully positive view of the world of employment :smile:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
oh trust me - I know it's a pile of crap
edit: employers/jobs not the statement relating to working rights -lol

ChrisKH

Guru
ttcycle said:
oh trust me - I know it's a pile of crap
edit: employers/jobs not the statement relating to working rights -lol

Actually it does work sometimes, but I can't quote examples. Employers will more often settle than be seen dragged through an ET, even if they think they are in the right. Very stressful for the employee though.

Top Bottom