no cleats for me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
You can get cleated shoes in many forms nowadays. The mountain bike shoe aint great for walking in though OK. Touring shoes are just like trainers, well some are. You can get formal shoes for work/weddings ect. Ive got a pair of cleated Hiking Boots. Fantastic. You can take your bike out then go running up n down mountains leaving the bike in the valleys

I was as cynical as anyone about going clipless, but since getting some shimano M324 pedals which are flat one side and clipped the other, i've been converted. I also use recessed cleats which are fine for walking as i found out last month when i had to leave the bike at work due to mechanical failure and bus/walk home. Been clipless for a couple of months now, and yes, have had the obligatory "moment" but i haven't regretted the change.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I ride fine with just flat grippy platform pedals and trainers. When out with the club I find that I stay on the pedal at stops longer than the clipless mob and I'm faster away from a stop than them as they have that fraction of time lost clipping in whilst I'm already pedalling away. I'm also just as fast, up or downhill. Still like clipless though. It's just that my knees hate them.

Used to have cleats on the road bike which suited that style of riding. Tried them on the mtb but never really took to them, FiveTens and Burgtec Flats work just fine for me off road. Each to their own.

screenman

Legendary Member
I must say I did use straps and clips myself up to 20 years ago, embrace technology.

Clipped in all the time, and to the guy that can get away faster because he does not have to get clipped in, well lost efficiency over the overall distance would soon negate any perceived advantage.

Maybe more practical to you but to me they are useless. Cleats all the way, Bet I can get my feet off the pedals quicker than you can reach down and release your tight toe straps, unless of course you wear them lose in which case why bother with them at all.

I used to use toe clips and had them really quite tight and could get my feet out easily, quickly and without releasing them.
I did used to tighten them each time I got on.

I switched to flats on the mtb for a while and then when I got the road bike put toe clips on again, resuming my usual practice.

I've since gone clipless and wouldn't go back despite having had one moment where I managed to pull my foot loose (without twisting)

I've also had my legs cramp once or twice, but seem to be ok now.

apollo179

But awkward if you have to do any walking though! Each man to his own. I think with straps , I have the best of both worlds. Anyone else think like me?

Yes i think i agree although in actualitey i use neither just plain pedals but will buy straps idc.

Alexvs

I just bought the M520 spd pedals and some specialized shoes and hoping I can get used to them. Struggling to get the original clip pedals off at the moment but can't wait to try them once fitted. I've already had one slip and fall which was only on my second day riding my new bike after not being able to get out of the clips quick enough and slid out in front of a car but luckily they stopped and I survived with just some cuts and bruises. Also don't like the clips as going round long ascending bends they manage to hit the ground while cycling.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Clipped in all the time, and to the guy that can get away faster because he does not have to get clipped in, well lost efficiency over the overall distance would soon negate any perceived advantage.
Got any stats to prove that statement?
I've been using clipless for 5 years before I came off and broke my arm. I therefore have some experience and knowledge of the efficiency of the two systems. There is no advantage at all in overall distance. Maybe if you are riding the TDF which I am not, and remember they use what the sponsors require them to use. To say that they have an advantage over flats for the average rider is IMO nonsense. [I can outride guys in clipless and there are guys in clipless that can outride me.] It's not about the pedals.:smile: There are advantages and disadvantages in both systems. To embrace technology because it is available is not the right reason to change.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Got any stats to prove that statement?
I've been using clipless for 5 years before I came off and broke my arm. I therefore have some experience and knowledge of the efficiency of the two systems. There is no advantage at all in overall distance. Maybe if you are riding the TDF which I am not, and remember they use what the sponsors require them to use. To say that they have an advantage over flats for the average rider is IMO nonsense. [I can outride guys in clipless and there are guys in clipless that can outride me.] It's not about the pedals.:smile: There are advantages and disadvantages in both systems. To embrace technology because it is available is not the right reason to change.

Interesting, did you find you altered your pedalling style at all between the two systems?

screenman

Legendary Member
Seems a bit like the helmet debate. How do you know that you would not have broke both arms if you had been riding quaint old flats compared with nice modern cleats?

Just a thought you guys using good old fashioned toe clips and straps, do you use cleats? are they the nail on type.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Using flat pedals - how do you pull through the pedal stroke with the upper foot when climbing out of the saddle?
I just couldn't use flat pedals now. I used to use clips and straps AND shoeplates* - You could NOT get your feet out without flicking the quick release on the strap. I also found it impossible to use trainer type shoes - indeed any shoe with a ridged sole - with straps, as the sole interfered with sliding out the foot, and unless the straps were tight their use was pointless. So specific cycling shoes with a smooth sole were essential. The big advantage of clipless is that firm connection with the pedal and efficient transfer of energy throughout the pedal stroke, without the discomfort of tight straps.
*Track cyclists today use straps with cleats.

screenman

Legendary Member
Not forgetting the damage toe clips used to do to my school shoes and trainers come to that.

Colour tv what do you guys think? is it all it is made out to be or should I stick to my black and white.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Interesting, did you find you altered your pedalling style at all between the two systems?
I lost a bit of confidence when I came off whilst clipped in and broke my arm. I'm not sure that it would have been any different outcome whilst on Platforms, but I since have had quite a few emergency stops whilst using platforms and to me it seems easier/quicker to just come off the pedal straight onto the floor. There are more escape routes on Platforms.
I did not change my pedaling style but my body did. I noticed that using Platforms my foot, calves, thighs were constantly moving as my cadence changed or the amount of effort needed changed. My theory for what it is worth is that using flat pedals enables the body to choose which muscles it wants to use in order to deliver the power required. I.e it is my bodys choice not Mr Shimanos. I found it easier to pedal uphill as there is a greater surface to push down on and all the muscles in the leg and feet can contribute rather than all the force being applied through one small area. I,m sure we all have our individual style on a bike but once you are clipped,stapped in you lose that individuality and your body is forced into what can be an unatural position. we don,t all walk or run the same way, why should we all pedal a bike the same way?
There again what do I know. You have to do your own thing, whichever way you want to ride, but do what works for you and your body. Not what fashion or the marketing people want you to do.
have a read of this My link.

Jim :smile:

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I tried toe straps, just couldn't get my feet in off the lights at all, was always faffing about not looking where I was going. Got SPD-SL's now and they are a godsend. Can clip in in seconds without looking, and the ability to push/pull up steep climbs is fantastic. Would never go back to straps or open pedals now.

Top Bottom