No Country For Old Men

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
NickM said:
what does Llewelyn Moss represent? He is neither old nor morally bankrupt, but nor is he a straightforward emblem of decency like Marge Gunderson.

I saw him as the standard cross section of the down-trodden American average Joe (not the plumber referred to in McCain and Obama's TV debates!). Essentially not an evil person but ready to seize an opportunity to better his circumstance if it comes his way.

U

User482

I concur that NCFOM was an excellent film, but not as good as Fargo. Mrs R hated it though, and made me sit through Juno as penance. What an overrated turd that turned out to be.

NickM

Veteran
eldudino said:
I saw him as the standard cross section of the down-trodden American average Joe...
Contemporary US Everyman - yes, that fits...

Most of the Coens' films seem to be about the battle between decency and nastiness. There are often characters representative of both extremes (e.g. the crooks vs. Marge and Norm Gunderson, in Fargo), and other characters (like Jerry Lundegaard) within whom the battle is raging. I think the eventual triumph of decency, and the delivery of come-uppance to those who spurn it, is what makes Fargo so satisfying.

NickM

Veteran
Wigsie said:
+ 1
I bought it a few years ago, was very suprised and watched it loads since. Very under marketed but a great film.
I love the bit at the end when Val Kilmer turns to the camera and says "Oh, and for all you nice folks in the Midwest... sorry we said "fuck" so much..." :biggrin:

Apparently, it owes more than a little to The Long Goodbye, which has gone straight on my Lovefilm list.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Speaking of beautifully shot films, has anyone else seen The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada ? Absolutely fantastic film, I came across it by chance in a hotel, flicking channels whilst Mrs.S got herself unpacked and did whatever takes her so long to get ready for bed. I was amazed by how well it was shot and the simple story line. It's similar to NCfOM in so much as it shows the conflict between two completely different worlds. Well worth a watch.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Flying_Monkey said:
Well it does centre on someone who lacks anything that might be termed a 'soul'... I guess I am in a minority on this one.

A minority of at least two. I thought it was the most extraordinary film I've seen for years.

U

User169

theclaud said:
A minority of at least two. I thought it was the most extraordinary film I've seen for years.

Sticking by the Home Secretary I see.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Delftse Post said:
Sticking by the Home Secretary I see.

Naturally ;) Anyone demanding his resignation will have to get past Papercorn.

Maz said:
I stumbled upon a film showing on Film4 the other day Little Miss Sunshine and I really enjoyed it. The title and précis of the film (a road trip to get a girl to a beauty pageant) would've been enough to put me off, but I'm glad I watched it.
Film4 are repeatedly showing my favourite film "The Shawshanks Redemption", it may be getting a bit dated but I enjoy it.

peanut

Yeah I quite enjoyed NCfOM too. Saw it a couple of weeks ago for the first time.

I thought at first that I had missed some vital information at the beginning that would have make sense of it all.

The end was really dissapointing I hadn't realised that he had been killed by the woman for about 10 minutes.
That compressed air tool was inspired and just added to the surrealness of the whole story.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
NickM said:
Most of the Coens' films seem to be about the battle between decency and nastiness.

I always thought most of them were largely about the stupidity of humanity... good or bad, serious or funny. The one problem I have with the Coen Brothers is their ultimate amorality and lack of faith in humanity - I still love their films, but despite this.

PaulB

Legendary Member
eldudino said:
Speaking of beautifully shot films, has anyone else seen The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada ? Absolutely fantastic film, I came across it by chance in a hotel, flicking channels whilst Mrs.S got herself unpacked and did whatever takes her so long to get ready for bed. I was amazed by how well it was shot and the simple story line. It's similar to NCfOM in so much as it shows the conflict between two completely different worlds. Well worth a watch.

Cracking film; really really enjoyable. Another one showing that contrast of which you speak is Babel. I liked that as well, despite it starring Brad Pitt.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
PaulB said:
Cracking film; really really enjoyable. Another one showing that contrast of which you speak is Babel. I liked that as well, despite it starring Brad Pitt.

My mum recommended I watch that too, my dad thought it was shite; he's more a 'guns & explosions' kind of guy!

I must admit, the thought of Brad Pitt being in it put me off a bit. I still can't bring myself to watch the final quarter of Jesse James because he annoyed me so much!

NickM

Veteran
Brad Pitt was excellent in Burn After reading (and not exactly the kind of actor you'd expect the Coens to employ).

FM, I think you and I could sit in the same cinema and see two different films! Coen Bros. films amoral? I would say they were anything but...

taraaa, everybody

Top Bottom