No dopes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I just read a bit on cyclingnews.com saying that how refreshing it is in the press scrum at the TdF this year that nobody's talking about doping. It says that even Paul Kimmage is enjoying himself!

Then it contradicts itself by saying that there are a few sniggers and whispers about 2 stage winners (Schu and Valv piti, presumably). I also read in today's Guardian the following snippet re Ricco

"Like Pantani, the Pirate, he has coined his own nickname, the Cobra, for the way he watches and then strikes. Yesterday there was venom as well as total commitment in his finish sprint in a stage he had targeted. He rode a poor time-trial on Tuesday and is unlikely to challenge for the overall title, and there are other question marks, at least so far as the drug testers are concerned: he has been tested four times in the past five days."

Is that a bit mischievous or knowing?

Keith Oates

Janner
Rich p, the chances of having any reported positive tests in this tour are very small!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mondobongo

Über Member
I don't think he is on this occasion. If you were ASO as they are working on a whole season of races which will cause a split in the UCI ranks would you shout from the rooftops if there is a positive. On the other hand if there is nothing reported for the whole tour we will be suspicious on the basis that you can't sort it out overnight.

Interesting that Cycling News are reporting 10 abnormal blood values were found in tests prior to the Tour starting could be something could be nothing details were sent to the UCI for inclusion in the passports.

Oh those passports they introduced not in use during the Tour.

Keith Oates said:
Rich p, the chances of having any reported positive tests in this tour are very small!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Surely, given the stance that ASO have taken (booting out Astana, Boonen etc) anyone caught failing a test on the Tour is likely to have their balls ripped off in public the following morning by Mr Prudhomme. Followed by their race number and the numbers of all their team colleagues. The risks of being caught covering up a positive test would be more catatstrophic for the organisers than actually catching a bad apple.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Chuffy said:
...anyone caught failing a test on the Tour is likely to have their balls ripped off in public the following morning by Mr Prudhomme.
Strikes me that way too - the opinion against, I guess, is that a positive test would finish the tour for good, so the organisers would prefer to hush it up.

John the Monkey said:
Strikes me that way too - the opinion against, I guess, is that a positive test would finish the tour for good, so the organisers would prefer to hush it up.
A fiasco like the previous couple of years, with several major contenders being banned or testing positive, might well have that effect, especially if more sponsors pull out. But with teams like Slipstream, High Road taking a serious anti-drug stance and bringing in new sponsors (Garmin, Columbia) on the back of that policy then the future of the Tour looks fairly secure. The odd positive lower down the peloton isn't going to have any impact other than to give the ASO the chance to make an example of someone.

Of course if it turns out that the new generation of clean teams is charged up a la Festina then the Tour probably is utterly screwed...

Tetedelacourse

I can see both sides. On one hand, Phonak and T-Mobile cleared off because of the scandals, but then other companies stepped in pretty much straight away. Tailwind couldn't get backing for the same reason we're told. No-one's looking back now! The tour is still an incredibly cost-effective way of advertising your company and so long as the exposure is high it will continue to thrive. I don't think its future is under threat at all. ASO clearly feel that way too. They've taken the bull by the horns and whether you interpret that as an ultra tough no-nonsense approach to doping or as a "don't wash your dirty linen in public" approach is a matter of perspective.

You gotta love it though!

Tetedelacourse said:
You gotta love it though!
Am I bad for thinking that a whiff of scandal makes it all a bit more exciting?

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
They need to rip out any riders tainted with any wiff of scandal. They are still reeling from the Rasmussen affair and the way he slipped through the net which was very damaging for the UCI. I hope and pray it will be clean or we can kiss goodbye to Le Tour.

Top Bottom