No hands......its big and clever!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

So after coming back to cycling in january, yesterday i without thinking sat up to ease my back....no hands. Wow :ohmy:....... it immeadiately took me back to when i was 13 years old and rode everywhere like that!.

Anyway did most of my commute no handed after that and loved it. Childish i know but it really is big and clever!! I almost wished i still smoked............

Andy

yello

I know what you mean... I saw a kid pulling monster wheelies in a car park yesterday and was transported back to the days I used to do it.

I too used to ride no hands, not a care in the world. I do occasionally do it now, but it's usually only to do a zip or glove cuff up or some such.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would like to be able to do no hands ... like you say it could be useful but I only ever manage to take my hands off for about a maximum of 3 seconds - not long enough to do anything useful.

Is it a confidence thing or right bike proportions or just practice (or impossible)?

LLB

I nipped into the village a few minutes ago, and a knob (about 25) on a MTB was riding no hands up the busy main road (bypass) with loads of cars in both direction.

As he approached the roundabout, he wobbled across the road (still no hands) and onto the pavement where he continued his journey.

Everything in its place, but that wasn't it :smile:

redfox

Gerry Attrick said:
The bike has much to do with it. I can "no hands" easily on my sportive mount, but if I try it on my old Dawes, well I fall off!

The correct bike setup is a big factor, I use the same bike for touring and audax rides (steel fork and heavy wheels when touring - carbon fork and light wheels for audax).

I can (and often do) ride 'no hands' for ages on an audax to give my lower back a bit of a rest. I am lucky if I can keep my hands off the bars for more than 5 seconds in the touring setup even when unladen.

Last time I did a wheelie, I forgot that a) I was on the Dahon, and :smile: I had a bout 20lbs of paper in the pannier. I came off in front of Critical Mass. I was 38 years old.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I could do hands off on my motorbike. A cycle seems a different thing altogether. or maybe it is just 20 years of experience of how much falling off hurts.

mootaineer

Some days the bike feels so natural that I feel I could ride no hands...but then I chicken out ;).

I can do a very ungraceful *bunny hop but have never managed wheelies ;).

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

If i may be so presumptious, this is my guide for riding - no hands

1. ensure you are travelling at a reasonable lick - 10mph minimum
2. Ride in a high gear - its easier to have something to push against. (fnarrr)
3.good road surface helps
4. take a good grip of saddle with arse. (practice you'll soon get it.)
5. make a decisive action - just lift hands off and let em dangle by your side, keep pedalling, hold head up high.

That is yer basic no hand stylee - i will hold a master class later which will include, banana eating, smoking and chatting up passing females.

****Please Note***** Do you remeber what a tit you felt when you first fell off with your new SDP? Well falling off doing no hands magnifies that by a factor of about 20! No pain No gain..

Good luck

andy

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

linfordlunchbox said:
I nipped into the village a few minutes ago, and a knob (about 25) on a MTB was riding no hands up the busy main road (bypass) with loads of cars in both direction.

As he approached the roundabout, he wobbled across the road (still no hands) and onto the pavement where he continued his journey.

Everything in its place, but that wasn't it :ohmy:

Was it Magnatom??:eek:

Top Bottom