No helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I rode for the first time today without a helmet since I was 16. I have to admit that it felt better than with a helmet and I am sure it looked cooler:rolleyes::biggrin: but I didnt 'alf feel exposed going down the big hill at 36 mph:biggrin:

I am seriously thinking of leaving my helmet (the white one:biggrin:) behind when I go to Germany in the summer....I suppose it's a dumb thing to do?

It's a well known fact that the health benefits of cycling far outweigh the dangers. I never wear a helmet. On the other hand my best friend is still a vegetable with half of his skull in a fridge after falling off my Brompton in August.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I have not worn a helmet for the past 200,000 plus miles, nothing dumb about it. Its a choice thing.

i don't wear a helmet unless i go with the racing club.in weather like this weeks i find it too hot anyway and don't even wear a cap.
my son has just started riding , tried the helmet once and doesn't wear one. again to hot and uncomfortable.
they do have their uses but i can't help wondering just how many wear them for fashion and not protection.
you're chances of an accident are just the same whether you wear one or not, it's just the outcome that may be different if you do come off.

Chris James

Über Member
I generally just wear a cap in the hot weather - to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Having said that, I am considering buying a new helmet for sportives and am hoping against expectation that the venting will be much better on a new expensive one than my old one.

Having said, I equally expect the extra holes to further reduce the already extremely limited protection a helmet offers.

Tynan

Veteran
I've worn a helmet since I got one free with a bike, once it's setup right I find it perfectly comfortable and although it's been hot this week it's not been an issue

personal choice indeed

yello

I'll ignore this one please...

<ignore as necessary>

People that don't wear helmets are stupid, lame brain.... :evil:

I need to find a decent cap. Yesterday, it was too warm for one but without one I found flies etc being attracted by the sweat on my head. A kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't! I've just thought; maybe my helmet would be better! Maybe I'd stay cooler and the flies wouldn't bother me. What an irony that would be!

Alcdrew

Helmets are only good for slowing you down, all that extra weight your carrying, and those holes in them cause more wind resistance. So the only safety benefit is the fact since your going slower your less likely to hurt your self when/if you crash.

davidwalton

They DO provide some protection to the head, and every ounce of protection counts.
They are not heavy.
A helmet that fits is NOT uncomfortable.
They may look stupid, but who cares.
I look forward to and support any Government that makes them compulsory.

Until then, you decide.:evil:

Jaded

davidwalton said:
They DO provide some protection to the head, and every ounce of protection counts.
They are not heavy.

Until then, you decide.:biggrin:

:evil::rolleyes:;):rolleyes::ohmy:

davidwalton

Jaded said:

Perhaps a little heavy, but that is why I wear a helmet, no matter the weather. A helmet has only one purpose = to help save your head in the event of an accident. It isn't a fashion statement, or anything else other than a piece of safety clothing.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
davidwalton said:
They are not heavy.

Until then, you decide.:evil:

Oh no here we go again ;). If you want to wear a helmet then fine, rather than have a goverment telling me what I can wear I believe I am able to make my own mind up thanks. :ohmy:

Top Bottom