1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No helmet

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Bigtallfatbloke, 8 May 2008.

1. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I rode for the first time today without a helmet since I was 16. I have to admit that it felt better than with a helmet and I am sure it looked cooler:rolleyes::biggrin: but I didnt 'alf feel exposed going down the big hill at 36 mph:biggrin:

I am seriously thinking of leaving my helmet (the white one:biggrin:) behind when I go to Germany in the summer....I suppose it's a dumb thing to do?

2. It's a well known fact that the health benefits of cycling far outweigh the dangers. I never wear a helmet. On the other hand my best friend is still a vegetable with half of his skull in a fridge after falling off my Brompton in August.

3. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

I have not worn a helmet for the past 200,000 plus miles, nothing dumb about it. Its a choice thing.

4. piedwagtail91

piedwagtail91 Über Member

i don't wear a helmet unless i go with the racing club.in weather like this weeks i find it too hot anyway and don't even wear a cap.
    my son has just started riding , tried the helmet once and doesn't wear one. again to hot and uncomfortable.
    they do have their uses but i can't help wondering just how many wear them for fashion and not protection.
    you're chances of an accident are just the same whether you wear one or not, it's just the outcome that may be different if you do come off.

5. Chris James

Chris James Über Member

I generally just wear a cap in the hot weather - to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Having said that, I am considering buying a new helmet for sportives and am hoping against expectation that the venting will be much better on a new expensive one than my old one.

Having said, I equally expect the extra holes to further reduce the already extremely limited protection a helmet offers.

6. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

I've worn a helmet since I got one free with a bike, once it's setup right I find it perfectly comfortable and although it's been hot this week it's not been an issue

personal choice indeed

7. notthebuzzard

notthebuzzard Active Member

I didn't wear one today - just a cap - for the first time in years and I felt dirty....

8. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

A helmet will save you from certain death! Anyone who doesn't wear one is an idiot and should have his children taken into care.

9. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Rubbish!!

A helmet offers as much protection as a Staples receipt stuck to your forehead with blue-tac (but the white, fake version of blu-tack). Anyone who wears one deserves to have his wife leave him for BB King.

10. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

<ignore as necessary>

11. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

You forgot the arguement that a helmet helps keep my hair off my face:smile:

12. yello

yello Guru

I'll ignore this one please...

People that don't wear helmets are stupid, lame brain.... :evil:

I need to find a decent cap. Yesterday, it was too warm for one but without one I found flies etc being attracted by the sweat on my head. A kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't! I've just thought; maybe my helmet would be better! Maybe I'd stay cooler and the flies wouldn't bother me. What an irony that would be!

13. Alcdrew

Alcdrew Senior Member

Helmets are only good for slowing you down, all that extra weight your carrying, and those holes in them cause more wind resistance. So the only safety benefit is the fact since your going slower your less likely to hurt your self when/if you crash.

14. numbnuts

numbnuts Guru

that why I wear one, if not it looks like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards:biggrin:

15. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Couldn't you wear an alice band instead?
    A nice flowery one?