No helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brock

I don't wear one, and I'm not looking forward to being obliged to (technically) in Spain.

davidwalton

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Oh no here we go again :evil:. If you want to wear a helmet then fine, rather than have a goverment telling me what I can wear I believe I am able to make my own mind up thanks. ;)

The same was said with Motor Cyclists as well.....

and it isn't here we go again, unless I am not allowed to have an opinion that is;)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
If you want to wear a helmet then fine go ahead no one is stopping you.
I decide that I don't yet would not want to push for goverment legislation to force people not to wear one. I believe that we should be able to make our own choices.

You cannot compare motorcycle helmets with cycle helmets as they are designed completely differently for different type of accidents and motorcycle helmets are made under much more stringent regulations.

Some cycle helmets, the Snell approved ones for example, are certainly built and tested to a high standard however there are a lot of cheaper ones on the market which offer as much protection as cycling with a saucepan on your head. How many people are prepared to pay top price for a helmet of a decent standard and how many replace their's when they drop it like the manufacturers claim you need to do so ?

So fine if you want to wear one go ahead, I have decided not to thanks.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I rode a sportive on Sunday and I was one of only two riders not wearing one. Got another one comming up in June where helmets are compulsory, but it will be hanging on the bars if it is a warm day.

The pros only wear them because they have to, when you see pictures of them training most are bare headed. They are just a fashion accessory.

davidwalton

To anyone choosing not to wear a helmet where it known they COULD prevent injury, you are also then expecting everyone to pay the medical costs of your decision. That to me is the wrong bit, and the reason why I believe all SHOULD wear helmets.

Those decisions you make which have zero impact on others, I believe you have the right to decide.

This is why I support Government making them compulsory.

PrettyboyTim

davidwalton said:
The same was said with Motor Cyclists as well.....

But motorcycle helmets are proven to provide lots of protection, whereas there seems to be little evidence that cycle helmets provide much protection at all.

davidwalton

Smokin Joe said:
The pros only wear them because they have to, when you see pictures of them training most are bare headed. They are just a fashion accessory.

A fashion accessory that CAN save your life.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
So do you wear a helmet in a car? Or are you happy for the rest of us to pay your medical costs if you suffer a head injury in a car accident? (More head injuries occur in vehicle accidents than cycle accidents).

PrettyboyTim

davidwalton said:
To anyone choosing not to wear a helmet where it known they COULD prevent injury, you are also then expecting everyone to pay the medical costs of your decision. That to me is the wrong bit, and the reason why I believe all SHOULD wear helmets.

Those decisions you make which have zero impact on others, I believe you have the right to decide.

By the same measure car drivers and passengers should wear helmets, as they could prevent injury. Runners, footballers, and pubgoers should be forced to wear helmets as well.

davidwalton

PrettyboyTim said:
But motorcycle helmets are proven to provide lots of protection, whereas there seems to be little evidence that cycle helmets provide much protection at all.

They didn't used to.

If I hit your head with a brick, I am sure that will hurt. If you wear a helmet and I hit that with a brick, I am sure it will hurt less......

Or, bend over so your head is 3 foot from the ground and allow yourself to fall on to your head. A helmet DOES provide protection!!!

4F

davidwalton said:

On the basis that more pedestrians suffer head injurys whould this be rolled out to include them as well ?

I would suggest the smokers and drinkers are more of a drain on the NHS than cyclists not wearing a helmet so where are you going to draw the line on who pays for the treatment they are perceived to have caused to themselves ?

4F

davidwalton said:
They didn't used to.

If I hit your head with a brick, I am sure that will hurt. If you wear a helmet and I hit that with a brick, I am sure it will hurt less......

Or, bend over so your head is 3 foot from the ground and allow yourself to fall on to your head. A helmet DOES provide protection!!!

Are helmets now designed to be brick proof then ?

davidwalton

Smokin Joe said:
So do you wear a helmet in a car? Or are you happy for the rest of us to pay your medical costs if you suffer a head injury in a car accident? (More head injuries occur in vehicle accidents than cycle accidents).

I don't drive. Cycle is my transport.....

but your argument appears to be that because one form of travel may involve less injury than another that we should therefore ignore the lesser. Why not tackle both?

Top Bottom