No helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidwalton

Tynan said:
same old same old shifty obtuse arguments from the antis

I just fail to see what the issue is about not wearing helmets. They are not heavy, they don't get in the way, and one that fits is comfy..........

and they CAN save your life.

Yes, I want to see improvements in the protection cycle helmets provide, but any helmet is always going to be better than none.

Jaded

davidwalton,

Thankfully the government is charged with looking after the health of the nation as a whole and they have looked into this issue in great detail. There is no population wide evidence that compulsory helmets improve the health of the nation. Quite the opposite in fact.

tynan,

same old crap from the pros.

there are more head injuries to car users and pedestrians than cyclists.
makes me wonder how we survived in the pre helmet days.
I've been riding over 30 years and know of only one instance where a helmet ,had they been available would have prevented injury.
i wear one when i think it necessary, it's a good helmet, a giro atmos, but it makes conversation impossible because of the wind noise, it also makes it more difficult to hear cars coming up behind, and on hot days is too hot for me to wear in spite of all the holes..
if people choose to ride with a helmet i have no objection, i won't resort to name calling because they hold a different view, but i expect the same in return.
I'm with the ctc on this and feel it should remain personal choice.

yello

davidwalton said:
you are also then expecting everyone to pay the medical costs of your decision.

Oh dear lord, can we move this thread to soapbox please!

Your statement can be applied to any number of activities that people take part in. If you start trying to justify health costs on that sort of basis then you're on the old slippery slope. 'Sorry, you're granny smoked, I'm not paying for her hip replacement'.

You keep saying 'COULD save your life', 'COULD prevent injury' etc. By the same token, and inherent in your own wording, they MIGHT not. They COULD even make matters worse. Some studies have shown that helmets in certain accidents CAUSE injury. So, in my opinion, the jury is well and truly out on the subject. I will make my own decisions until such a time as I am convinced of the categorical benefits to my safety.

davidwalton

Jaded said:
davidwalton,

Thankfully the government is charged with looking after the health of the nation as a whole and they have looked into this issue in great detail. There is no population wide evidence that compulsory helmets improve the health of the nation. Quite the opposite in fact.

tynan,

same old crap from the pros.

So what is the REAL argument for not wearing a helmet?

I honestly do not know. So far, the argument has been one that other things are wrong elsewhere and should be addressed instead.

The fact is that while you may go for 50 years or more without an incident where a helmet does not help, it only needs one that does.

You don't buy insurance on the basis that you WILL claim. You buy it in the knowledge that you CAN.

As for there being no evidence that helmets don't prevent or reduce head injury, duh.............

I would always prefer a helmet to be between my head and an object or ground I am about to hit thanks....whether it is only designed to withstand 12mph or 20mph hits is a separate matter. Having a helmet on is always going to be safer for your head.

Alcdrew

davidwalton said:
I just fail to see what the issue is about not wearing helmets. They are not heavy, they don't get in the way, and one that fits is comfy..........

I covered this earlier.

Helmets are only good for slowing you down, all that extra weight your carrying, and those holes in them cause more wind resistance.

But on a serious note, there was a report on the telly a few months back ware a cyclist road his normal route with and without a helmet, and he said when waring the helmet car etc.. got a lot closer to him when over taking. So that has to be a big down side to waring one. Cars get close enough at the moment as it is, don't want the any closer to me.

Jaded

davidwalton said:
So what is the REAL argument for not wearing a helmet?

I honestly do not know. So far, the argument has been one that other things are wrong elsewhere and should be addressed instead.

The fact is that while you may go for 50 years or more without an incident where a helmet does not help, it only needs one that does.

You don't buy insurance on the basis that you WILL claim. You buy it in the knowledge that you CAN.

As for there being no evidence that helmets don't prevent or reduce head injury, duh.............

I would always prefer a helmet to be between my head and an object or ground I am about to hit thanks....whether it is only designed to withstand 12mph or 20mph hits is a separate matter. Having a helmet on is always going to be safer for your head.

The problem is that you are only looking at a part of the full picture.

Perhaps you should take your helmet off so that you are not so blinkered?

davidwalton

yello said:
Oh dear lord, can we move this thread to soapbox please!

Your statement can be applied to any number of activities that people take part in. If you start trying to justify health costs on that sort of basis then you're on the old slippery slope. 'Sorry, you're granny smoked, I'm not paying for her hip replacement'.

You keep saying 'COULD save your life', 'COULD prevent injury' etc. By the same token, and inherent in your own wording, they MIGHT not. They COULD even make matters worse. Some studies have shown that helmets in certain accidents CAUSE injury. So, in my opinion, the jury is well and truly out on the subject. I will make my own decisions until such a time as I am convinced of the categorical benefits to my safety.

If you insist on picking on a point that others are involved in the consequences of the decisions you make, don't you think that you have a responsibility to others to make better decisions?

Sorry, but the jury was in years ago to those willing to hear. Fact is that anything between your head and something you are hitting MUST provide SOME protection.

and there are cases where smokers CAN be rejected for treatment, and rightly so.

and why does this belong in the SoapBox???? Does it not impact on ALL cyclists?

I have looked for the argument for NOT wearing a helmet, but can find no real argument. Have asked, but no REAL argument is forthcoming.

Give me a real argument for not wearing a helmet
and I will consider it.

Alcdrew

davidwalton said:
I have looked for the argument for NOT wearing a helmet, but can find no real argument. Have asked, but no REAL argument is forthcoming.

Give me a real argument for not wearing a helmet
and I will consider it.

Here

davidwalton

Alcdrew said:
I covered this earlier.

But on a serious note, there was a report on the telly a few months back ware a cyclist road his normal route with and without a helmet, and he said when waring the helmet car etc.. got a lot closer to him when over taking. So that has to be a big down side to waring one. Cars get close enough at the moment as it is, don't want the any closer to me.

Cycle helmets are NOT heavy, and they do NOT slow you down by that much.

I did ask for REAL reasons for not wearing a helmet. Cars getting closer because you wear one is not a real reason.

you don't need an argument for not wearing or not wearing a helmet, people are exercising their right to choose.
if i decide to go 15 miles to ribble cycles i wear a helmet because i go though busy towns with loads of half asleep motorists..
if i go on a100 mile ride in the country where for 94 of those miles i will probably see less than a dozen cars i don't wear a helmet.
i don't see why people get so wound up about choice.

Top Bottom