No longer being updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Just to de rail the thread a little more 😁 I allways fancied having a go at dry stone walling. Was booked on a course before Covid struck so obviously got put off.
Similarly I was going to do a course, but decided hedge laying was more useful for me, so did that instead.

We used these pre-formed bricks as an easier option. They come from Marshall’s iirc and have a locking tab at the back, so each layer sits back slightly

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
You are right, but the cost difference between a skilled dry stone waller and DIY gabions is massive, and in this instance he isnt holding back a huge weight, so the quicker easier solution is appropriate

The OP would be well advised to take time and care on what the face looks like and once installed its damn hard to fix / change, and to realise this is a discussion board, topics will meander at will. Like a river they can be coaxed to a certain course but never directed.

Lovely bit of walling in your avatar @Randomnerd - its dying art.

Edit to say, if t'garden slopes away from t'ouse, then will anyone even see the face side? unless there is a path or something around the far side of the garden, so maybe.
Not sure it's a prohibitive cost.
Say 5m2 with footings. If the stone is on hand, expect a good waller to charge £50 per m2. Barrow it to his/her fingertips and make him/her tea and biscuits.
Two wallers would have it done in a day, and you get to watch.
This notion that craft workers are untouchably expensive needs debunking, or the skill will die. Too many wallers have climbed the greasy pole and now call themselves designers. FFS. It is only stacking stone.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I know where you're coming from, but to build a good dry stone wall takes some skill, whereas gabions are dead easy, which even a muppet like me can't get wrong.
Exhibit A, a wall I did at my place. It looks OK, but I'm under no illusions that whatever stability it has is due to what's behind it.
View attachment 622455
I've attempted a couple of small walls in my garden. I wish they'd come out looking as good as this. Well done.

I've learned what a gabion is. I thought their purpose was to retain soil, rocks etc. in places where slippage could be a problem and in watercourses to protect a river or stream bank.

presta

Guru
Whenever I see gabions the first thing I think is how long will it take for that cage to rust away. They just look too temporary for my taste. Then I wonder how much long term settlement adds to the load on the cage over time.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Whenever I see gabions the first thing I think is how long will it take for that cage to rust away. They just look too temporary for my taste. Then I wonder how much long term settlement adds to the load on the cage over time.
Cage is galvanised steel, so 35 to 50yrs in hard soil conditions, 75+ if soil is good

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Awful, ugly articles.
Retaining wall in dry stone every time. Will last a lifetime, take up way less space and never rot, rust, sink.
Agree...I am getting prices for a 20m x 1.5m retaining wall atm. Gabions are ugly things so no way. It'll be those stackable concrete blocks faced with some natural stone. Dry stone would be great but the price would be off the scale

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I worked on one of the biggest gabion walls in Northants - I can remember it being 6 cages deep and god knows how many cages long - looked flipping ugly when done in my opinion
Far better to have those stackable blocks with the lip at the back , no cement involved , doesn’t take up as much space , the matting that you can use in between the blocks is hidden and look nice - maybe dear but get what you pay for

OP
OP
J

jowwy

having done quite a bit of research and pricing over the xmas break...i've decided to go with sleepers, to keep in line with all the other timber structures i've built throughout the garden.....

so another end of 2022 project to add to the list, as i want to enjoy the garden this year, before i start tearing it up again

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Aye Jowwers, same as wotmI have planned. Seasoned oak sleepers are surprisingly inexpensive, less damaging to the environment, and will outlast me.
sleepers here are coming in at £29.29 for 2.4mtrs x 200mm x 100mm and i would need around 12........

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom