No longer using granny ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Moodyman said:
I worked myself out of the granny ring and did all but the steepest climbs in the middle ring.

Then I discovered optimum cadence and started using the granny ring again. Don't dismiss your granny - she has a purpose.

I would never dismiss my granny ,even if you dont use her much its nice to know she's there if needed;)

I find i can do the same ride and one day I will power up in the middle ring next time maybe I will spin up in the granny.When your legs are tired granny is your best friend.:smile:

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I have an advantage due to the fact my front derailleur doesn't like changing to the bottom chain ring, so I adapted to not using it.

Chrisc

Guru
Gixxerman said:
I wish!
Nope getting up them on the middle ring and smallest sprocket.
On my bike that is 38 tooth chainwheel and 32 tooth sprocket (the granny ring is 28). This equates to 1:18:1 (or 0.875:1 for the granny).
So I am hauling up steep hills in a gear that is greater then 1:1 which I am rather pleased about.xx(

Ah I see. Automatically thought compact cos that's what I'm on. :sad:
I'm going to be taking the bike over there before too long so I'll see if I can get up Willingham hill on the compact which would be 34/25. Bet I can't....B)

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Hi Gixxerman from a fellow Yellowbelly. I give you my respect as you have finally, it seems convinced the sceptics that Lincolnshire is not flat. I too live in the Wolds (Barrow) and cycle regularly around the places mentioned. I very nearly met my nemesis yesterday with a killer of a hill from below Walesby to a road above Tealby. Most definitely granny ring all the way on my hybrid and I defy any of our regular clever bottoms to have climbed it any other way:biggrin:.

Whereabouts are you based?

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Gerry Attrick said:
Hi Gixxerman from a fellow Yellowbelly. I give you my respect as you have finally, it seems convinced the sceptics that Lincolnshire is not flat.
I hope so. I am getting tired of people saying it is flat as a witches tit.

Gerry Attrick said:
I very nearly met my nemesis yesterday with a killer of a hill from below Walesby to a road above Tealby. Most definitely granny ring all the way on my hybrid and I defy any of our regular clever bottoms to have climbed it any other way:biggrin:.
That would be Walesby hill. Yep been up that a few times. Not bragging but I don't need the granny ring anymore on it. I have attched a piccy of Walesby hill. Have I got the correct one?

Gerry Attrick said:
Whereabouts are you based?
Market Rasen

Fluffy said:
And whys that?
Well you said that your front mech has trouble selecting the granny ring, so you adapted to not using it. Is that not evolution?

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I guess it could be seen that way yea. When I say it doesn't like the small ring it just does not engage on it. Which even when the bike was new I hardly used that anyway except for stopping and starting.

jimboalee

This so-called "Granny ring" was invented so a tourist who has a bike weighing 56lb ( 1/2 cwt ) loaded up with camping kit could ride up a 10% hill at 2.5 mph.

The threshold for 'walk' is an 18" gear which is 45 rpm at 2.5 mph.

Most sports bikes these days are less than 25lb. The 10% gear on a 25lb bike is 40", which doesn't need a tripple chainset. A 39 x 27 will do.

As the rider's hill climbing experience grows, and his/her legs likewise, they will be using the 40" gear on 12% hills and then short 14% hills.

wanda2010

Guru
jimboalee said:
This so-called "Granny ring" was invented so a tourist who has a bike weighing 56lb ( 1/2 cwt ) loaded up with camping kit could ride up a 10% hill at 2.5 mph.

The threshold for 'walk' is an 18" gear which is 45 rpm at 2.5 mph.

Most sports bikes these days are less than 25lb. The 10% gear on a 25lb bike is 40", which doesn't need a tripple chainset. A 39 x 27 will do.

As the rider's hill climbing experience grows, and his/her legs likewise, they will be using the 40" gear on 12% hills and then short 14% hills.

My bit of London doesn't have much 'gradients' and whilst I have no problems running up them I will re-route if I have to :smile:. Although thinking about it some more, cycling up them could only help improve my running skills surely?

Top Bottom