No luck at the Police Shop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I tried to report this at the local police shop (they closed the proper Police Station ;))
The PCSO :sad: said that there isn't a form for reporting bad driving any more :biggrin:
Can someone point me in the right direction as I am sure she was wrong. I have posted it on the RoadSafe site and I might go down to my local primary school at chucking out time as there is usually a PSCO on a bike booking all the mums who park on the pavement and zig-zag :biggrin:

snorri

Legendary Member
'phone the local police station, report the details and get some sort of reference number so that you can call them back if they don't call you.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
snorri said:
'phone the local police station, report the details and get some sort of reference number so that you can call them back if they don't call you.

I tried that, they told me i had to fill out a self-reporting form, which i had to collect in person from a police station. Unsurprisingly i didn't bother.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
upsidedown said:
I tried that, they told me i had to fill out a self-reporting form, which i had to collect in person from a police station. Unsurprisingly i didn't bother.

Sounds like its made real easy to report this stuff... no wait :wacko:

I was looking for an address in Derby yesterday, I knew it was on Sinfin Lane but I couldn't see the company's sign.

There was a PSCO walking by so I asked her where the entrance to Moore Large was.

"Don't know."

"It's a huge cycle company"

"Never heard of it"

"Could you ask someone on your radio?"

"No, we're not allowed to do that, it's not police business"

:wacko:

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
upsidedown said:

The chances are that, if you do report it, the Police will do nothing. That's exactly what happened when I reported a close overtake. I supplied video evidence just as compelling as yours but, because the moton didn't actually drive me off the road, the Police declared there to be insufficient evidence. They did, so they claim, at least write to the driver informing him of the complaint so maybe that will have produced an improvement in his/her future approach to cyclists.

snorri

Legendary Member
upsidedown said:
I tried that, they told me i had to fill out a self-reporting form, which i had to collect in person from a police station.
Disappointing:sad:, police procedures vary around the country. My local constabulary were happy to have a phoned in report. When they phoned back, they mentioned aspects of the incident that I had not revealed, which proved to me that they had had "a word" with the driver which was all I really wanted.:biggrin:

BSRU

A Human Being
When I sent videos to my local Police they actually visited me and told me not to bother unless contact/collision occurs, not worth their time. Explains why the local driving standard is dropping fast.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I once had a bloke get out of a car after i shouted OI !! after a similar close shave.
he wanted to fight and only backed down when i said i would call the police.

Unsurprisingly the cops did not bother.

I will remember the guys line till i die "Your in my way i will pass as close as i like "

buggi

Bird Saviour
A few cyclists, including me, were chatting at work over email about the way drivers treat us on the road. The conversation started off because a van driver had done almost exactly that, because i held him up on the road he deliberately swerved at me (presumably to frighten me but i've got nerves of steel now) and one guy said that i should report it. i replied saying i felt like the police were now starting to view me as "the nutty cyclist" i was in there so much, and they never did anything anyway so what was the point. the email conversation was between quite a few cyclists, and everyone started chipping in with their stories including a guy who had the same trouble with the Aston Martin driver that i had had previously.

Anyway, then the cycle co-ordinator got copied into the email and he was so p*ssed off that he took it to the directors meeting. (one of the directors cycles to work). Needless to say, the directors were really angry that so many of us were having abuse just because we chose to cycle to work (this is after 2 deaths at the Wokingham office), so then the company got behind us, and complained to the police, and they set up a liaison officer.

I'm not really sure what happened after that, because i moved offices but perhaps that is the way forward, to get our workplaces to back us on this.

BSRU

A Human Being
buggi said:
I'm not really sure what happened after that, because i moved offices but perhaps that is the way forward, to get our workplaces to back us on this.

Nice idea but even though I work for a huge multi-national they do not care about the people who cycle to work, they do nothing to encourage it apart from not providing enough car parking spaces.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
buggi said:
complained to the police, and they set up a liaison officer.

Buggi....Brilliant......Why didn't I think of that.....
Shall speak to the boss and put this idea forward. We have a few large companies on my patch who have commuter cyclists.....

BSRU said:
When I sent videos to my local Police they actually visited me and told me not to bother unless contact/collision occurs, not worth their time. Explains why the local driving standard is dropping fast.

Police better never take that line with me. Seriously. I would be taking my video straight to the press, police complaints commission etc. Too often we accept poor service, including from the police. Those who shout loudest......

Top Bottom