No medical section on here.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill

Two weeks back I had a Pace Maker fitted. This is a advance of the Beta Blockers I took for years with their many side effects. My Brompton is a H3R and is a easy ride. The H bars make for a 'sit up and beg' position plus I have fitted bar ends....to allow my hands to be in a even higher position., I am what is called a 'Easy Rider' and I just roll down the lanes nice and easy. Can anybody out there tell me if my left arm (where the item is fixed) would be all right just.... 'sitting there'...pulling a brake lever sometimes??....Hope someone can provide information as the fact sheet supplied by the The Royal Worcester Hospital is very nubulous about telling patents what we can do...or not...

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Glad you're back in the saddle again. No idea about the arm but as its permanently attached I don't know what else you could do with it ^_^.

My OH has a relative who's been on a pacemaker for a couple of years. She just went back to work and we've never heard her mention limitations on movement.
She's just had an upgrade to the posh sounding 3 lead doofer.

Alan O

Über Member
Two weeks back I had a Pace Maker fitted. This is a advance of the Beta Blockers I took for years with their many side effects. My Brompton is a H3R and is a easy ride. The H bars make for a 'sit up and beg' position plus I have fitted bar ends....to allow my hands to be in a even higher position., I am what is called a 'Easy Rider' and I just roll down the lanes nice and easy. Can anybody out there tell me if my left arm (where the item is fixed) would be all right just.... 'sitting there'...pulling a brake lever sometimes??....Hope someone can provide information as the fact sheet supplied by the The Royal Worcester Hospital is very nubulous about telling patents what we can do...or not...
I really think that's something you need to ask your doctor about.

Alan O

Über Member
My OH has a relative who's been on a pacemaker for a couple of years. She just went back to work and we've never heard her mention limitations on movement.
She's just had an upgrade to the posh sounding 3 lead doofer.
I'm guessing (only guessing) that it depends on where the pacemaker is implanted - the only ones I know of were in the chest, but it sounds like the OP's is in the armpit.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Pacemakers are remarkably resilient. I had mine fitted in October 2011 and was skiing in December 2012, back on the bike in April 2013 and back playing rugby in September 2013. To date I have not had any problems with the device - at first I was paranoid about the wires becoming loose but after awhile you forget it is even fitted.
So my advice is - enjoy your riding !

However I was told not to play rugby anymore ....

Last edited:
I'm guessing (only guessing) that it depends on where the pacemaker is implanted - the only ones I know of were in the chest, but it sounds like the OP's is in the armpit.

That's a thought. Then in that case I'd be ringing up the hospital and talking to the cardio staff. They're a lot more likely to talk real life movement and not quote a pamphlet.

OP
OP
Bill

Bill

Thank for all of the messages. Yesterday I phoned by Type Talk the consultant's secretary to ask for more information about using my Brompton. On the scanty fact sheet was things like don't use your Pace Maker side arm to push yourself off chairs...a incredibly hard thing to remember not to do!! So many other day to day normal things were not allowed. I think the only way the correct things could NOT be done would be to use a straight Jacket...!

rugby bloke

Veteran
Thank for all of the messages. Yesterday I phoned by Type Talk the consultant's secretary to ask for more information about using my Brompton. On the scanty fact sheet was things like don't use your Pace Maker side arm to push yourself off chairs...a incredibly hard thing to remember not to do!! So many other day to day normal things were not allowed. I think the only way the correct things could NOT be done would be to use a straight Jacket...!
Hopefully not a personal question - but where is your pacemaker positioned. ? I only ask because in my experience life is totally the same after mine was fitted - I have not stopped doing anything and have total confidence. My pacemaker is seated on my chest. I can understand that you need to go easy for a few week but you should be fine after that. As I said, I went skiing 3 months after the op with no problems. Certainly being told not to use your pacemaker arm to push up from a seat sounds extreme to me. I guess if you have a different positioning the advice may be different.

Welcome to to club !

Viking

No advice from me - just personal experience.

I've had a pacemaker for 19 years (actually 2 units - first one for 11 which was replaced when the battery was getting low and the second for 8 years, so I guess a new one is due in a couple of years.).

Apart from the post fitting / replacement period of waiting for the wound to heal and the stitches to be removed, it has been a fit and forget procedure for me. I still cycle (on a road bike - drop handlebars etc), go skiing (when I can afford it), do gym work (cross trainer, rowing etc) but don't do rugby (never did), don't do weights in the gym (don't like it and it might be asking for trouble) and have no problems. It gets checked every year for remaining battery life and to check that the leads are OK. The medics involved are all happy with my approach.

The main problems that I have are the hassle of getting through airport security (body search / special booths etc) and finding shirts with a right side breast pocket to keep my phone in and well away from the pacemaker) and, I almost forgot, keeping well clear of some lab equipment when visiting Unis. All a small price to pay and it all becomes second nature before too long.

Top Bottom