No more commuting :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J.Primus

I'm moving out of London to Hertfordshire next week so having to stop cycling in after commuting by bike for 5 years now.
Have any of you guys in the past had to stop and if so how easy is it keep up the cycling when you no longer have to. I'm thinking of entering a 60m sportive in July that will give me the excuse to keep at it for a bit but I'll definitely miss cycling every day!

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Personally, if I didn't have commuting as a reason to cycle (and that bit of my day as 'free' time in which to do it in) I think I would get out of the habit surprisingly quickly. Is there a reason you can't continue just because of the move? I split my commute between a car drive with the bike in the car and a cycle for instance.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Can't you go for a multi-modal commuting option (i.e. bike/train/bike)?

If not, at the moment there's always the lighter evenings for a quick 10 to 20 miler, or the weekend for a longer ride if you have the time.

OP
OP
J.Primus

J.Primus

Personally, if I didn't have commuting as a reason to cycle (and that bit of my day as 'free' time in which to do it in) I think I would get out of the habit surprisingly quickly. Is there a reason you can't continue just because of the move? I split my commute between a car drive with the bike in the car and a cycle for instance.
Yes it's a very long way :smile: As much as I enjoy cycling I don't like it enough to spend 5 hours a day on the bike and there isn't any practical way to split it.
I'm going to be going into work by motorbike as I've got a space for it in my work's basement and commuting costs works out about 30% of the train fares including buying the bike.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Yes it's a very long way :smile: As much as I enjoy cycling I don't like it enough to spend 5 hours a day on the bike and there isn't any practical way to split it.
I'm going to be going into work by motorbike as I've got a space for it in my work's basement and commuting costs works out about 30% of the train fares including buying the bike.

Unless you're coming in from north of Stevenage, you could always consider commuting by bike once a week (or less) - pick a day when the weather is nice.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I would think that after commuting in and out of London you would want to unwind with a nice bike ride in the countryside. I think you will find time if you like cycling.

OP
OP
J.Primus

J.Primus

Why are you moving so far from work? The mind boggles! :wacko:

I can't afford to buy a place in Stoke Newington where I live now and don't want to live in dumpy part of London.
When it comes to a decision between a small two bed flat in the arse end of Haringay or a decent sized 3 bed terrace in a nice market town its a really easy decision!

Plus the wife already works in Herts so one of us was always going to have to do the commute either way.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Yes, Motorbike would be my quickest method in to work, I could park on site so ride door to door. Because it would get in the way of my cycling for exercise I haven't bought another motorbike though, so I drive the long motorway bit with minimal traffic, park just inside the M25 where the traffic starts and cycle in from there. Like you I'd be looking at many hours to cycle the round trip every day (I had promised myself I'd do it at least once, but I haven't yet) so that was my compromise. You might find there's an option to do something similar. Failing that I hope you have less things clamouring for your time than I do. I know if I didn't spend the commuting time cycling, I'd barely cycle at all and once it becomes a rare thing then it becomes not a thing for me because I lose the fitness required and then it stops being fun. Really hope you aren't at the 'before' stage of the cycling gap thread here.

subaqua

What’s the point
I dunno damn hipsters making a place trendy and unaffordable.

I understand the not being able to afford something decent in town, and would hate having the commute transport mode choice taken away from me.

are you sure the bike train bike wont work ?

Top Bottom