No more hippies and explorers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think I agree with some of the ideas in the article, but the journalism nowadays needs a sharper pen, and the idea of I was doing such and so before the rest of you is a rather worn sole on an old shoe.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
There is no long-term privacy. Don't upload things you want to keep private.
There is a radius privacy setting that hides my final destination to within a chosen radius...from everyone but friends. I don't want strangers to know where my bike is stored each night...which is a very easy thing for someone to see, if you are not on Strava.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
There is a radius privacy setting that hides my final destination to within a chosen radius...from everyone but friends. I don't want strangers to know where my bike is stored each night...which is a very easy thing for someone to see, if you are not on Strava.
Don't shout me down as i am just curious but won't having the same start point each time give it away?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Don't shout me down as i am just curious but won't having the same start point each time give it away?
Not necessarily. If your circle of privacy is NOT centred on your house, and you always do the same route, then you will always exit the circle at the same place. So what you are giving away is that your house is somewhere within a big circle centred on your apparent start point with a radius equal to the diameter of your circle of privacy.

Or, on ridewithgps you can just set the ride to private so no-one can see it except you. I'm not sure if you can do that on Strava.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Firstly, if you've uploaded that data to Strava (which you have if friends can see it), then a bug in the public view may expose it one day and there's nothing you can do to prevent that other than stop uploading to Strava, delete your data and hope they really delete it and don't just set a facebook-style "deleted" flag.

Secondly, the public can't see my starting point from my tracker - its data simply isn't uploaded to the internet - but because my address is a matter of public record for other reasons, I have several types of locks and alarms guiding the bike shed. In this borough, most houses probably have some bikes (not all ridden, of course) and there are many others which will be easier, richer pickings than mine. Especially if a Strava bug ever exposes where all the fast bikes live ;)

Call me old fashioned but I can think of no good reason to post on the internet where I'm going/have gone/am. Do folks still "check in" on social media telling folks they are sat in a particular caff or whatever? - in case anyone would want to zap down and chat them up/mob them/giggly whisper to friends "it's him, isn't it, im off the web". Nothing to stop you recording routes and your performance offline is there? The data folk let loose on the web about themselves is amazing - I could give one or two examples but discretion prevents me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Call me old fashioned but I can think of no good reason to post on the internet where I'm going/have gone/am. Do folks still "check in" on social media telling folks they are sat in a particular caff or whatever? - in case anyone would want to zap down and chat them up/mob them/giggly whisper to friends "it's him, isn't it, im off the web". Nothing to stop you recording routes and your performance offline is there? The data folk let loose on the web about themselves is amazing - I could give one or two examples but discretion prevents me.
It's not as easy.

No doubt there is a PC application that you can download to do such. But that is probably laden with viruses and other nasties. Life is terrifying.

mjr

It's not as easy.
No, it's easier: use a tracker app like RunnerUp or OSMAnd and then just share the recordings to your PC however you usually share things. No registering on a website and then connecting/authorising an app to upload to it.

No doubt there is a PC application that you can download to do such. But that is probably laden with viruses and other nasties. Life is terrifying.
I use pytrainer. That means trusting Christian Perrier and Noèl Köthe to have checked that it doesn't contain nasties and to let everyone know if they discover they were mistaken, but I do, just as they may trust me if they have certain apps installed from the operating system that we've developed along with many others.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
The radius works at both ends of the journey...if you wish it to.

Last edited:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Firstly, if you've uploaded that data to Strava (which you have if friends can see it), then a bug in the public view may expose it one day and there's nothing you can do to prevent that other than stop uploading to Strava, delete your data and hope they really delete it and don't just set a facebook-style "deleted" flag.

Secondly, the public can't see my starting point from my tracker - its data simply isn't uploaded to the internet - but because my address is a matter of public record for other reasons, I have several types of locks and alarms guiding the bike shed. In this borough, most houses probably have some bikes (not all ridden, of course) and there are many others which will be easier, richer pickings than mine. Especially if a Strava bug ever exposes where all the fast bikes live ;)
Bugs can occur in anything. But when I started looking at different tracker apps, strava was the one I chose purely because of this feature...bugs and failures aside.

I ran ride with GPS and dropped it for this reason.

Ride with gps has a neat "movie" mode that shoes your ride in real time (or augmented real time) and also seemed to upload more accurate data (strava always seems to show some loss in distance or ride time) Since choosing strava, other features have become attractive, such as flybys and heat maps which I find fun.

Plus, strava has become something of a default tracker in the market and is now extremely popular, which is helpful when I make new riding mates as its likely that they are all on strava too.

I don't like a lot of things about strava but at the time that I made my choice, it suited me best.

And now I am invested, so shan't be changing anytime soon.

mjr

Bugs can occur in anything. But when I started looking at different tracker apps, strava was the one I chose purely because of this feature...bugs and failures aside.
Yeah, but I like to look at whether things are likely to "fail safe" when there's a bug. If a bug occurs in my offline tracker setup, it's rather hard for it to leak things to other people.

Plus, strava has become something of a default tracker in the market and is now extremely popular, which is helpful when I make new riding mates as its likely that they are all on strava too.
I may have overlooked something: how does that help any more than mainstream social networks?

And now I am invested, so shan't be changing anytime soon.
;) OK.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If people are really concerned about theft via strava, then the simple solution after privacy settings is to just name your bike something that sounds bad. i.e. if you have a Pinarello Dogma or something else fancy, name it Dog or even Carrera.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've found a way to stop other cyclists looking down their nose at me. I look down at them.

pennyfarthing321.jpg

Plebs on their ordinaries. Pah! And I've got no chain to clean.

Top Bottom