No more punctures? Anyone tried this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Have you actually done that - and been able to use the pump again?
Not with sealant but 3 of us once filled the tyres of a friends bike with water (but only cos he kept going on about how light his bike was) whilst he was 'otherwise occupied' with a girl near Thurlaston 'watersplash' (a local ford)
We convinced him that he was 'tired' after his exertions, took him weeks to discover what we'd done as we had 'bled' all the air out so there was no sloshing sound and the tyres were solid.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Explain some more ? Really interested in this for the commuter
Even the awful chain sells the syringe-type injectors http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/inner-tubes/stans-notubes-the-injector-sealant but I can't seem to get the right keywords to find the pumped-pressure sort. :sad:

AFAICR, the basic method was that you squirted some sealant into the bottom of the injector's tube, attach pump to the top, pump it up a bit, close its tap, detach pump, attach the hose between the tube and the valve of the flat tyre, invert the tube (so the sealant sits on the tap), open the tap and the air pressure pushes the sealant in and then blows the valve clean.

The guys at Cycling Weekly tried putting some tubeless tyre sealant in some standard inner tubes

I don't get why they make out it's some kind of experiment and talk about using tubeless sealant in a standard inner tube as if they've had some kind of zany brainwave (zanewave?) - that sealant is labelled as suitable for standard as well as tubular and tubeless tyres and I would have thought plenty of people already use it in just the way they demonstrate?

I guess another way to look at it is to carry sealant with you. If you do get a p*un*ure then use a bit of sealant, spin the wheel and then reinflate
But wouldn't you still need to remove the tyre and tube to dislodge any nasties first? Ergo adding to your kit list without making the job any less faffy or any quicker than just patching/changing tubes?

Tom B

Guru
Even the awful chain sells the syringe-type injectors http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/inner-tubes/stans-notubes-the-injector-sealant but I can't seem to get the right keywords to find the pumped-pressure sort. :sad:

AFAICR, the basic method was that you squirted some sealant into the bottom of the injector's tube, attach pump to the top, pump it up a bit, close its tap, detach pump, attach the hose between the tube and the valve of the flat tyre, invert the tube (so the sealant sits on the tap), open the tap and the air pressure pushes the sealant in and then blows the valve clean.

That reminds me I was in the local allfrauds a few weeks ago and they have a huge bucket/pump of slime with a hose that looks like they use for squirting into tubes. The lad using it some how managed to snap a few tyre levers then cause a mini slime explosion trying to squirt it into the mounted tyre/tube. I wondered what the hell he was doing, now guess he hadnt removed the core.

Top Bottom