No more punctures? Anyone tried this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lpretro1

Didn't want to have to destroy the customer's inner tube as we'd only been asked to mend a broken spoke - try wrestling a Schwalbe Marathon on and off when you only have a partly deflated tube = pita

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I use Tubeless and have never had a gummed up valve. Sealant should cope with anything under 2mm.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I use Tubeless and have never had a gummed up valve. Sealant should cope with anything under 2mm.
OK, the last time I'm repeating this: sealant works better in tubeless but this thread was about using sealant in an inner tube. It'll easily gum up the value of a tube if you deflate it completely. You never deflate a tubeless completely enough to squeeze the sealant out the valve.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
OK, the last time I'm repeating this: sealant works better in tubeless but this thread was about using sealant in an inner tube. It'll easily gum up the value of a tube if you deflate it completely. You never deflate a tubeless completely enough to squeeze the sealant out the valve.
I think I know what you are getting at but I have fully deflated to replace faulty or bent Presta valve cores or to top up sealant and to patch a tyre even kept all the sealant still in the tyre on the rim while I repaired it. You have to be sensible mainly not deflating with the valve at the bottom with the sealant pooled there as well. Same really for adding air slight off centre. Slime I assume by its name could pose a problem as it is not as fluid as sealant.

OP
OP
B

blimpnoddle

Just had one of these efforts in our workshop and we were unable to deflate the inner tube properly to get the tyre off to fix a broken spoke. Because the valve as totally gummed up. Made what would have been a straightforward job into a PITA - your mechanic will not love you for this. lol

Thanks for that info. Unfortunately that's what I suspected. Certainly won't be trying it now.

Jaykun85

well if I'm ever stranded in the middle of nowhere with a long walk back to civilisation .. i can now have a MacGuyver moment with the power of milk .. provided theres a field of cows or a random out of the way farm shop about :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I now have the image of @Jaykun85 chasing a cow around a field with a wheel... shortly followed by a farmer with shotgun...

Top Bottom