No more punctures? Anyone tried this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've used sealant to seal punctures. The sealant can't seal a hole as big as most valves but you should take the valve core out to deflate them, else the sealant eventually Gunks up the valve innards and prevents reinflation.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I guess another way to look at it is to carry sealant with you. If you do get a p*un*ure then use a bit of sealant, spin the wheel and then reinflate. That way you don't run with sealant in the tubes which eventually dries out.

OP
OP
B

blimpnoddle

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll give it a miss. A fair bit of effort, quite messy and needs to be topped up.

lpretro1

Just had one of these efforts in our workshop and we were unable to deflate the inner tube properly to get the tyre off to fix a broken spoke. Because the valve as totally gummed up. Made what would have been a straightforward job into a PITA - your mechanic will not love you for this. lol

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No it does not, at least on our here. If what you mean is losing the seal, if not then I am not sure what you mean.
No, I mean deflating it completely. See the opening post. While you can use sealant to stop punctures in inner tubes, it has drawbacks that don't affect seamless because you rarely take them to completely empty of air, only to air pressure.

Made what would have been a straightforward job into a PITA
How? If the valve core can't be removed, I thought it would be cut the tube and catch the mess.

Top Bottom