No Recovery Discs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
Is there not a hidden partition on the hard drive with a recovery image on it ?

I have an Acer Aspire somethingorother and there's a 6Gb hidden drive with a backup of the delivery image on it.
Haven't a clue how to use it though - I bought it second hand.

I think it's diabolical that PC manufacturers don't ship the original discs with their machines... even if you've paid for OEM software you should still get the discs IMHO.

OP
OP
kettle

kettle

Is there not a hidden partition on the hard drive with a recovery image on it ?

I have an Acer Aspire somethingorother and there's a 6Gb hidden drive with a backup of the delivery image on it.
Haven't a clue how to use it though - I bought it second hand.

I think it's diabolical that PC manufacturers don't ship the original discs with their machines... even if you've paid for OEM software you should still get the discs IMHO.

OP
OP
kettle

kettle

can't get to the files on the computer. Should have made the discs as instructed but did not. My only hope is that somebody with the same can make me a set.
thanks

can't get to the files on the computer. Should have made the discs as instructed but did not. My only hope is that somebody with the same can make me a set.
thanks

Worst case - you should be able to get the discs from Acer - there will of course be a charge

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If you are wanting to recover files, one solution is to down load a copy of Ubuntu, burn it to CD and then run it from the CD, this will give a working OS which will allow to recover files and see examine the HDD to see if there is a hidden partition, without making any changes to the HDD, i.e. no risk of further harm.

I just did a search and found this thread on the pitstop forums Acer recovery

It seems to suggest that you can press Alt & F10 at the Acer bios spash screen, which will load the eRecovery Operating System Restore program....password is six 0's apparently.

Hopefully this will allow you to restore your system to factory defaults again.

Give it a try and I will cross my fingers for you.

PBancroft

I wouldn't go quite so far as diabolical, but I do agree that its a nuisance. I've just ordered a new PC from Dell, and I made sure to pay the extra £7 to get the discs. I know that the image is stored on another partition, but I've seen quite enough hard disks fail outside the warranty period to want to have a copy of Windows 7 in the house for a rebuild, ta.

Note
Should have made the discs as instructed but did not
I did that as one of the first things. (different model possibly older)
Even if you have recovery discs it makes sense to make another set after installing your basic software setup and
downloading all the patches as recovery cds still tend to require various extra drivers.

Top Bottom