No substitute for a car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
In weather like today ( persistent heavy rain) you can't beat a car for going from a to b and back.
I know some of you may disagree, I mean the hardcore of cyclists, but when I saw this guy with shorts on and water proof jacket, this morning, I thought: " he can't be owing a car otherwise he would be using it".
I know we all love getting on our bikes and ride but surely, there must be limits to when to ride and to me , pouring down rain is no good for riding. Give me a car anytime in those conditions.
And of course, there is also the safety aspect,apart from comfort of dry and warm conditions that the car gives you.
How many of you, also car owners, leave the bike at home and take 4 wheels when the weather is so bad?

tadpole

I own a car, and didn't even think about taking it to work.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
[QUOTE 2057653, member: 45"]If I'd known how long it was going to take me to drive the 13 miles to work this morning I'd have cycled. Despite the rain and copious flooding, I'd have still got here more quickly.[/quote]
Yeh , but at least you got there warm and dry!^_^

G2EWS

As mentioned elsewhere I was disappointed that I could not ride in today, due the cars needing to be here for valeting. The fact that he did not turn up is even more annoying! So I will have to drive in tomorrow as well. A ride tomorrow evening is called for!

The only thing I can think of that will stop me riding in with my new hobby of commuting to work will be very heavy winds, serious downpour or frost/ice.

Regards

Chris

subaqua

What’s the point
I have access to 2 cars ( 5 at a push but some of them are not in london)

I got soaked to skin yesterday and this morning and I will still be riding in tomorrow regardless of the weather.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
It all depends on how far from work and how much notice I'm given.
As a supply teacher who lives out in a little village with no proper bus service I have no option but to drive if I'm phoned at 8:00 to be in a school 20 miles away by 8:45 or earlier. Cycling in would be good if I had a few miles of heavy traffic that I could filter past but not when I have clear roads for 18 of those 20 miles. I did cycle into Leicester the other month for an interview with another agency but I had plenty of notice and interview was early afternoon.
Next month I'll be working in North Warwickshire at various schools. As yet I don't know where or what I'll need to take with me, so car is essential again. I will be taking bike on back of car though :becool:.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I really enjoyed my short ride to the station in the rain this morning. It's only water. HTFU.

Like Greg, I would very happily go car-free to rid myself of the temptation to use it (not to mention the cost). The only hurdle is persuading my wife of the merits of that idea. Ho hum.

d.

Top Bottom