No Top Marks for Cars With basics on a Touchscreen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No, but you can by voice control. One button on the steering wheel and you can control the radio, heating, satnav, whatever.

It's quicker to press the Temp button, and the up smart button, than tell the car to change temperature to 20c, or mostly, just the dial on your side of the car. What about directing air flow.

"Car, change temperature to 20 C" Takes a second or two, and requires you to speak clearly. Or, reach out with left hand, find big dial button and turn down two clicks (2 per 1c) - takes less than a second, no 'thinking'.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
No, but you can by voice control. One button on the steering wheel and you can control the radio, heating, satnav, whatever.

That’s still changing your focus though. I’m not convinced you can have 100% concentration on the road whilst talking to your car which likely keeps misinterpreting what you are saying. Increasing temperature to 200C and deploying air bags as requested, no…..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That’s still changing your focus though. I’m not convinced you can have 100% concentration on the road whilst talking to your car which likely keeps misinterpreting what you are saying. Increasing temperature to 200C and deploying air bags as requested, no…..

This is the danger. Had a little arguement with SIL recently, who had just splurged over £30k on a Yaris Cross Elite (fugly). 'Oh, she says, it has all these extra gadgets that let you drive when tired, lane assist, adaptive cruise'. I just said, you need to stop driving and pull over if tired. She's comes from a 15 year old car. She can hardly work a laptop, never mind the car. There is way too much tech in the car, and people think this is good. It's not.

https://news.stv.tv/world/357036

This seems to be reasonably common now. That is a Jaguar I-Pace. Previous ones seem to have been MG and BMW.

It is quite close to us
It does make me wonder - those cars are quite powerful
but it seems to have gone a fair distance at a reasonable motorway speed from reporting the problem to being able to stop
which must have been scary as Hell - seems to have included going round Switch Island which is busy at quite times!!!
no idea how they did it

anyway - my car is automatic and I have at least sat in my wife's son's car which is electric
and both have a neutral setting on the "gearbox" lever
so if my brakes failed I would expect to be able to stick it in neutral and coast to a halt eventually on a long motorway????

I presume the electronics decided that they knew best
but if so then it would suggest that all cars fo that (those) make(s) are not safe enough to be allowed on the roads

imagine if that happened near the end of a motorway - so only city roads at the end
at least this time it was on the M58 so they could go onto the M57 - if they had to go onto Dunnings Bridge Road then they would have been screwed!

Drago

Legendary Member
This is the danger. Had a little arguement with SIL recently, who had just splurged over £30k on a Yaris Cross Elite (fugly). 'Oh, she says, it has all these extra gadgets that let you drive when tired, lane assist, adaptive cruise'. I just said, you need to stop driving and pull over if tired. She's comes from a 15 year old car. She can hardly work a laptop, never mind the car. There is way too much tech in the car, and people think this is good. It's not.

Sticking throttles and runaway cruise control are common. There was one in MK, a poor bloke in a 3 litre Volvo with the cruise failing to disengage. He couldn't kill the ignition and risk losing steering and brakes so just hung on for dear life until he finally crashed. I expect it was an auto. Happened to my step brother years back in his XJ6, and it refused to go into N on the move. It even happens to lorries.

This isn't anything new, just Daily Mail driven hysteria now e cars are starting to do similar.

The can sometimes render a car undriveable when they go wrong. They can be price, but not usually write-off levels of bum squeakiness.

That's the thing as a car depreciates with time many more expensive cars get to the point where they are not economic to repair and fear of repair costs often means higher cost cars devalue faster than lower cost cars. German cars nowadays are very unreliable generally and are the most likely to have engine and transmission failures and then you have expensive LCD display replacements or other parts. It's not just faulty parts either when a car gets to lets say £5k value who wants to spend £1600 on a set of tyres for a BMW SUV? £2k tyres for a £50k car is one thing but its probably half that value in 3 years. Despite the global environmental crisis we seem to be buying far more disposable products.

Warranty direct released data on failure rates of cars and for example 1 in 27 Audi cars have engine failure compared to 1 in 344 Honda's. These typically need major work or even complete replacement. Also this is the yearly figure so if you kept a Audi 5 years that is pretty much a 5 in 27 risk of engine failure or 5 in 344 for Honda. It's going to be the same situation with complex LCD panels which are going to be very expensive to buy and fit costing into the thousands which literally will cause many vehicles to be scrapped.

You would hope consumers would refuse to buy cars full of components with could render the vehicle uneconomic to repair a few years down the line but that doesn't appear to be the case.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/62383/german-cars-among-worst-engine-failures

potsy

Rambler
Other than the higher cost over their ice equivalents this is the single biggest thing putting me off making the switch to electric.
Hate the minimalistic approach to in car controls, and don't get me started on removing indicator stalks like Tesla have, what a ridiculous decision!

Drago

Legendary Member
and don't get me started on removing indicator stalks like Tesla have, what a ridiculous decision!

Tesla user interface is one of the main reasons we never put cash their way. Mrs D has a hard enough time as it is being blind in her left eye with hands that don't behave as they should, and to have to fight to use basic functions woukd have simply been too much.

I agree - my "new" car is from 2019 and even that has a problem with the inbuilt SatNav
The traffic subscription has expired in spite of being a lifetime sub
because Garmin has discontinued the thing it connects to

there is also something about software updates to the "system" which I suspect have to be done by a Honda dealer
not sure we need that
I have worked out how to update the satnav maps at least

It is quite close to us
It does make me wonder - those cars are quite powerful
but it seems to have gone a fair distance at a reasonable motorway speed from reporting the problem to being able to stop
which must have been scary as Hell - seems to have included going round Switch Island which is busy at quite times!!!
no idea how they did it

anyway - my car is automatic and I have at least sat in my wife's son's car which is electric
and both have a neutral setting on the "gearbox" lever
so if my brakes failed I would expect to be able to stick it in neutral and coast to a halt eventually on a long motorway????

I presume the electronics decided that they knew best
but if so then it would suggest that all cars fo that (those) make(s) are not safe enough to be allowed on the roads

imagine if that happened near the end of a motorway - so only city roads at the end
at least this time it was on the M58 so they could go onto the M57 - if they had to go onto Dunnings Bridge Road then they would have been screwed!

Things like this have happened for decades - sometimes it's the car floor mat blocking the brake pedal (or similar). Sometimes it's operator error. There was a fatal crash in Paris with a Tesla that was on CCTV going past a restaurant at a ridiculous speed. Never heard the outcome there but if it was a car fault I'm sure the papers would have told us.

Just read a more complete story on the one round here
same car did it before - went up to 120 but he managed to get it into neutral and the Police helped him to stop
it went back to Jaguar who "fixed" it and returned it

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
https://news.stv.tv/world/357036

This seems to be reasonably common now. That is a Jaguar I-Pace. Previous ones seem to have been MG and BMW.
If that was a plane instead of a car they'd all be grounded until it was fixed.

I think the problem here is that the car industry has been consumed by computer fever when they don't have enough experience of designing fail-safe software, and seem to have forgotten the lessons from their own field.

Hydraulic brakes quickly got dual circuits so that you don't lose everything if a hose bursts. I had brake servo develop an intermittent fault on my Capri, and whilst it was entertaining wondering if you were going to get any assist each time you put your foot on the pedal, you did not lose all braking. I've seen hysterical accounts of sudden PAS failure, and again, I've had that happen when the crank pulley broke midway round a busy gyratory system in the rush hour, and it was no big deal because you do not lose all your steering.

When I bought my Accord with cruise control I was told all sorts of lurid accounts of people being taken hostage by them, but again it was fail safe: if it didn't cancel when you touch the brake, you could put your foot on the clutch, or take it out of gear, or switch the engine off, or all three.
1 in 27 Audi cars have engine failure compared to 1 in 344 Honda's
As a Honda owner my interest in reliability was piqued when my insurance guy commented on it, and since then, the reliability survey's I looked at always had Honda (and Toyota) in the top 5 most reliable makes. Others just come and go, they never stay. Which once had Honda above average for the cost of a typical repair, but the overall cost was among the lowest because the probability of a breakdown was so much lower. I'd rather have one £400 repair than four £100 repairs.

Top Bottom