No Top Marks for Cars With basics on a Touchscreen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Indeed. Modern cars are basically laptops on wheels.

Totally agree.

I hate that, on my current car, I need to use a touchscreen to adjust heat and ventilation settings for example. I typically as the front seat passenger to make the changes for me. If there is no pas then I only make the change when stationary, at traffic lights for example. Unfortunately my gripe isn’t addressed in the changes but I hope it’s the start of a step to greater change l

Indeed. Modern cars are basically laptops on wheels.

Mine runs Linux - it is basically a PC!!!

the essentially are all on proper switches but far too much is on the touch screen - if I want to switch the voice on for the Satnav I really need to stop to do it
The radio is OK - but only if you already have the stations set up - otherwise you ae left with using the screen - which could be a problem if you are on a Motorway and run out of signal range!

Drago

Legendary Member
Agree totally.

5he XC90 and Polestar were bad for it, thankfully the Mini and MG have the important stuff on switches still.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Isn't it also the case that when they go bad they can render the car scrap?

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
I hate that sort of thing on several levels:

Firstly, I don't like searching in menus. It's OK for stuff you do when you're not concentrating on something else, like programming the video, but otherwise it distracts your train of thought.

Secondly, I want buttons that I can feel before I press, not buttons that I've pressed before I can feel them.

There's also a parallax problem: the screen you're seeing isn't in the same plane as the surface you're pressing, so it can be difficult to see which button you're pressing if you're viewpoint is not square to the screen.

I wish programmers had the sense to disable the touchscreen for enough time to react after the screen changes, so if your finger touches the screen just at the instant it changes you don't end up pressing the 'wrong' button.

Lastly, screen sensitivities seem to vary from one extreme to another, some reacting before you're aware of touching them and others where you have to act like you're stubbing out a fag on them, screwing your finger into the screen.

The radio is OK - but only if you already have the stations set up - otherwise you ae left with using the screen - which could be a problem if you are on a Motorway and run out of signal range!
You have to retune every few hundred yards driving round he Lake District.

Dadam

This is one of several reasons I've hung onto my 14 plate 3 series BMW for so long. It's got a decent screen for satnav etc (the resolution makes it look a bit dated, not that I really care) but controlled by tactile physical buttons and a wheel with click stops that are on the centre console just behind the gear stick so easy to reach without stretching. Another issue with touch screens is trying to touch the right button while your arm is outstretched, bouncing around on the terrible road surfaces. Plus all the essential driving controls like indicators and wipers on proper stalks. A manual handbrake too.

I'm no luddite, I work in software and love gadgets, but needs to be the right gadget in the right place with the right UI.

I remember the Tornado aircraft display in our company workshop. It had a series of big buttons surrounding a display. The action of each button could change according to context, but the tactile feedback and constant location were there.
Touchscreens and menus are unsafe and inconvenient for drivers. It doesnt matter that everyone buys them or that few people complain they are unsafe. Most people are stupid and are unable to analyse safety issues.
I had to enable/disable the passenger airbag of a rental, and resorted to youtube to find the menu.
As a car club member, I breathe a sigh of relief when I get a low end Hyundi with trad dad switches. No instructions neccessary. Radio on/off. Heating up/down etc.

Top Bottom