Nob question about chain rings 'compacts'??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

monnet

Guru
John the Monkey said:
A "standard" road setup might be a 52T big ring with a 42T small ring. Manufacturers reckoned that this had too much top and not enough bottom, so the compact has something like 50T big and 39T small.

The idea is that most mere mortals gain more from that because more lower gears is more useful than more big gears.

I ride a compact triple (because that's what came on the Giant) which is 50T/39T/30T. I don't like it as much as I liked my old bike's 52T/42T, personally, but if I'm completely honest that's more because I tend to be on the big ring as soon as I've moved off, whereas on the old bike I got at least some use out of the middle ring. Also, with the 30T inner ring, and living in Cheshire, I reckon more big gears would be more useful ;)

I'm a bit confused by this. To my knowledge a standard double was 52/42 with up to 8 sprockets at the back depending on the era (with people often riding a 54 to race). A standard double now is 53/39 with 9/10 speed cassette at the back. A compact generally runs at 50/34 and a standard triple is 50/39/30 though there are variations on this (usually the 50 being knocked down to 48 or up to 52 either by the manufacturer or through rider choice). I think Chorus also offer a 48/34 compact.

As for which is preferable, it all depends on the individual. Personally I ride a triple - I figure I could get away with 53/39 butdon't race, I can get over most stuff on a 39 but the 30 get out clause is handy on very steep/long climbs. I also like the fact I can stay in the middle of the block eliminating to much chain crossover, which I've seen happen with people riding compacts. That said, compacts are a bit lighter and are a touch more aesthetically pleasing.

Top Bottom