Nodding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
What gives?:biggrin:

I have a Scooter, no biker nods at me, scooterists want to hug and kiss me.
I have Honda VFR750, no scooterists love me any more. Bikers nod, but not Harley riders (twats).
I have a Dominator, big trailie. Still no love from the scoooter brigade and it's hit & miss with bikers.

I would never have imgained that this shoot went on with cycles

I had a Dawes MTB, every bugger on an MTB stops for a chat but no roadies.
I had a Dawes Discovery (yeah, baggy shorts) and apart from an oddball tourer or two, nobody will nod at me, I am invisible. I am buying a tourer soon and I am getting worried.:biggrin:

It's pathetic, it's sad to encounter this childish attitude in an activity that I thought (wrongly) might have an good % of decent intellligent participants. Now, I don't want to nod or smile at every bugger on two wheels but I don't like selective nodding, how do you deal with it?

Bigtallfatbloke

I find that most cyclists (except kids on mtb's) say hello one way or the other. I am on a tourer and roadies always say hi, and even stop sometimes for a chat or ride alongside of me talking about bikes destinations routes etc.

It's cool I think, we are all united with one common enemy...the car.

domtyler

Über Member
It's just human nature, wanting to associate with others who have similar interests, are like minded, whatever. If you don't want to be part of it just ignore everyone else.

bonj2

I don't mind the ones that don't nod because they haven't seen you. It's the ones that see you but then look down their nose with a sneer that really gets up my goat. It's as if they've got some sort of superiority complex.

Cab

Overtook 30 other cyclists yesterday morning, goodness knows how many I saw going in the other direction. Thats in a 3 mile commute.

I'd look like I had a tick if I nodded to all of them.

More to the point, why should I feel a sense of kinship with all of those people? I don't have anything against them either you understand, and if I'm stopped at a junction or have something to communicate I'll do so, and I'll be polite. But otherwise, they're just people that I don't know.

Membrane

In the city I don't acknowledge other cyclists, I do in the country by raising my right hand, sometimes accompanied with a "hey", "Hi" or "Morning" vocal greeting. I don't typically pay enough attention to other cyclists to notice a nod.

I glance at the bike, the clothing and the person, the more they differ from myself the less likely I am to initiate a greeting, don't see a problem with that. I don't find it offensive when a greeting isn't returned.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
This what I said,
"Now, I don't want to nod or smile at every bugger on two wheels but I don't like selective nodding, how do you deal with it"?

I have no wish to nod, talk, smile to everybody but it's those that make eye contact with you and then either look away so that you, on your hybrid, somehow don't contaminate their being, just plain ignorant. Or worse those that make eye contcat and....

bonj said:
It's the ones that see you but then look down their nose with a sneer that really gets up my goat. It's as if they've got some sort of superiority complex.

Carwash

Señor Member
I don't think I've ever been nodded at by another cyclist I wasn't already socially acquainted with. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong... <sniff>

Arch

Married to Night Train
Carwash said:
I don't think I've ever been nodded at by another cyclist I wasn't already socially acquainted with. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong... <sniff>

No, it's because you're so tall, they can't see up to your head, because of the low cloud...:biggrin:

I'm not aware of ever being sneered at by a roadie. Ignored maybe, but frankly, I can live without a greeting from every stranger I see.

"gets up my goat", bonj? "up your nose", or "gets your goat". Not "up your goat". Unless that's a local pastime round your way...:biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
When passing another cyclist in the countryside, I point at their front wheel and shout "flapjacks". No I don't, that would be silly. But I do give a wee wave and try to make eye contact, raising my sunglasses to do so. I put this on C+ once, and someone asked whether or not it made me look like Eric Morecambe, and I riposted that this was only the case if I started going on about their short fat hairy legs. It made me chuckle at the time, so I thought I'd repeat it here. OK, that's all now, be about your business. :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
Fnaar said:
When passing another cyclist in the countryside, I point at their front wheel and shout "flapjacks". No I don't, that would be silly. But I do give a wee wave and try to make eye contact, raising my sunglasses to do so.

Does that make you look like Eric Morecambe?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I nod at all proper cyclists, not chavs.

When driving my Landy I raise a casual finger at all proper i.e. older SQUARE Land Rovers except modern Defenders or farmers' Defenders. I am certainly very selective about who I consider part of my tribe.

Top Bottom