noise on bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy69

Regular
Bought my bike from halfords the other day. I took it back in today as the front gears weren't working properly as the derailur if that's how you spell it wasn't set properly. The gears all seem to work fine now but when I ride i can feel a slight 'grind' through my feet (basically It's just not as smooth as when I got it). It doesn't look as though It's the derailur rubbing again. It seems to feel worse when the front gear is on number 2 out of the 3 cogs. Is this normal as it is minimal or is there a problem somewhere?

Not having a good time of it!
Pretty p*ss poor setting up/indexing from them.

Tbh I woulda expected misalignment now on the front mech to show when on the large or small chainring rather than middle.

Is it any worse on the smaller or bigger (1-3)?

Ness

Unfortunately that's what happens when you have dealings with Hellfrauds. I wouldn't let the useless little scrotes look at my bike, let alone touch anything on it.
It's not a Boardman is it? I know they were having issues with some of the bottom brackets and were replacing them under warranty.
Go back and kick off, it's the only way with them. I know of a number of people who have ended up with better, more expensive bikes by way of an apology!!

OP
OP
A

andy69

Regular
Not having a good time of it!
Pretty p*ss poor setting up/indexing from them.

Tbh I woulda expected misalignment now on the front mech to show when on the large or small chainring rather than middle.

Is it any worse on the smaller or bigger (1-3)?
Not sure to be honest, I can check tomorrow. I'd say It's worse on the bigger (number 3)

OP
OP
A

andy69

Regular
Unfortunately that's what happens when you have dealings with Hellfrauds. I wouldn't let the useless little scrotes look at my bike, let alone touch anything on it.
It's not a Boardman is it? I know they were having issues with some of the bottom brackets and were replacing them under warranty.
Go back and kick off, it's the only way with them. I know of a number of people who have ended up with better, more expensive bikes by way of an apology!!

It's a carrera subway. First bike, as you can probably tell I don't know what I'm talking about. I was enjoying myself aswell. Did about 5 miles altogether the first day then 15 yesterday. Love the bike but I don't know what this problem could be. If you put it on a stand you can just about hear it when you turn the pedals, but when you ride it you can also feel this slight vibration/grinding

OP
OP
A

andy69

Regular
Don't know if its worth seeing if here's a friendly and sympathetic LBS that would help out.. Or an even friendlier CCer locally who would have a look at it for you?
I could take it to a LBS but don't know any personally yet so will probably cost me when I feel I shouldn't have to pay. What's a CCer? Do you think I should just pay a LBS? Am I just being too fussy or should it be smooth when you ride?

Ness

Could be any one of a number of things. It's either going to be a process of elimination to find out, or take it back and demand to speak to the manager. You never know. ;)

Peter88

Veteran
When on the stand can move the crank arms from side to side (not turning but from left to right looking from front or rear of bike) if so the botto m bracket could be faulty.

Ness

No, you're NOT being too fussy. It's a bike. It should work properly.
Like I said though, this is what happens when you go to that shop. They pay hundreds of thousands for TV advertising, yet pay spotty kids, who would otherwise work in McDonalds, minimum wage to be their grease monkeys. New riders need protecting from their shoddy standards. Shame really, as some of the bikes are really good.

Rant over :evil:

OP
OP
A

andy69

Regular
When on the stand can move the crank arms from side to side (not turning but from left to right looking from front or rear of bike) if so the botto m bracket could be faulty.
I'll go get my bike out now and have a look, any other things I could check?

Peter88 could bright, but hellfrauds should have picked this up on a bike stand adjusting the rear mech then checking the indexing (how sweet the chain runs through the gears) with all three ring combinations.
It's bike mechanics 101.
Any remaining issues would need further investigation before allowing it out of the shop, especially after a return!
Take it back and raise it with the manager - no one else.

Good luck mate
T

OP
OP
A

andy69

Regular
Just tried moving the pedal crank from side to side. Didnt seem to really move. Just think they will fob me off when I go as they know I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about.

Ness

If it's grinding, it's grinding. They can't deny it or fob you off. If it's not the BB, it could be the pedal bearings. It will probably be that they still haven't/can't index them properly. Take it back, ask to speak to the manager as it will be your second time returning it (you're wasting your time and money don't forget), and keep taking it back until it's fixed.

Top Bottom