noise on bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
where abouts in country are you andy69

OP
OP
A

andy69

Regular
What's my rights with my bike as a consumer? I've ridden it, It's less than a week old. Do they have to fix/replace it as It's so new?

HovR

Über Member
What's my rights with my bike as a consumer? I've ridden it, It's less than a week old. Do they have to fix/replace it as It's so new?

Yes, they do (as long as there is something wrong with the bike, which it sounds like there is). The sale of goods act states that a product should be of satisfactory quality, which includes:

– appearance and finish
– freedom from minor defects (such as marks or holes)
– safe to use
– in good working order
– durability

If the bike is making a grinding noise, then it is almost certainly not in good working order or free from defects.

This is a good document explaining your rights as a consumer in regards to the sale of goods act.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/738369/738375/OFT002_SOGA_explained.pdf

If it was a new car and it had a noisy engine what would you do.
If its there in the middle ring and worse on the outer, and I am presuming you mean the lower gears 7-8-9 and not 1-2-3 on the rear, if you are using the outer ring on the front and large on the rear, there maybe be some rub, because it is an extreme angle for the chain (likewise small ring on the front and small on the rear), if you know this bit forgive me.
You shouldn't get in on the middle front and large rear though.
It could be there isn't enough tension on the front gear cable, therefore not pulling the front Dérailleur across.
There will be a tensioner ( I think where the gear cable comes out of the shifter, I dont know about hybrids), if you turn this anti-clockwise ( I think), a little at a time, then see if it gets better, if it gets worse chances are your turning it the wrong way, if it gets better but doesn't totally get rid of it, the cable will need re-tensioning at the front Dérailleur.

OP
OP
A

andy69

Regular
So I took my bike into halfords. I told him to ride it himself and he thinks It's the bottom bracket. He said he has never seen one go so quick, esp on one of these subway bikes. Anyway, he's ordering in the part and the manager said it'll be done in about 10 days as they are having problems with the suppliers. I'm a bit p!ssed off and thinking what else could be wrong with it if the bracket was broke so quickly. The manager said they will check everything and make sure It's all perfect as it should be......surely this should have all been done before.

Lee_M

Guru
So I took my bike into halfords. I told him to ride it himself and he thinks It's the bottom bracket. He said he has never seen one go so quick, esp on one of these subway bikes. Anyway, he's ordering in the part and the manager said it'll be done in about 10 days as they are having problems with the suppliers. I'm a bit p!ssed off and thinking what else could be wrong with it if the bracket was broke so quickly. The manager said they will check everything and make sure It's all perfect as it should be......surely this should have all been done before.

shoot happens - I know its halfords so everyone will have a go at them, but my domane had problems when I got it, anyone can get a component failure that isnt picked up - the main thing is how helpful they are in fixing it. My LBS spent 4 hours fixing my gears for example - chaning ALL the internal cables, new rear mech and hanger, etc - just one of those things

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
. The manager said they will check everything and make sure It's all perfect as it should be......surely this should have all been done before.

How frustrating.

I'd tell them to take it back.

Good luck either way.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
I think it's very unlikely that the bottom bracket is shot after only 20 miles riding.There is a fairly simple test to determine if the bottom bracket bearing is worn out. Shift the chain to the inner most rear sprockets front and rear. Drop the chain off the smallest front ring, and arrange it so it will not strike the chainrings. Spin the crank while holding the bike with one hand. If you feel an obvious rumbling or grinding feeling, the bearings are worn out and the unit should be replaced. Very worn bottom brackets will actually make a grinding noise.

Top Bottom