Noisy Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huggybear0

Über Member
Hi my chain clatters when I have it on the front middle and small cog but not when I have it on the large one.

it makes the noise especially when I go over rough terrain. Is there anything I can do to make it quieter.

Thanks.

Sharky

Guru
Is it the same on all sprockets at the rear?

OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
Yes it is the same when I change gear with the rear sprocket. It only goes quiet when I change to the large crank wheel.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I suspect the chain is trying to shift up from the middle chainring if in a small sprocket. My triple chainset does this due to the shifting ramps if i use the two smallest sprockets whilst in the middle ring.

ChrisEyles

Guru
That's because the rear mech spring is under more tension when you're in the largest chain ring on the crank, reducing the amount of chain movement / slap.

I like this about triples off road, shift into the big ring before a descent and it's almost as good as a clutch mech.

If it's problematic and you're not running your chain too long, the only real fix is replace your rear mech with one with stronger springs and/or a clutch mechanism.

OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
I noticed on the web one way to tell if the chain has stretched is put it on the top ring and if you can pull it out and see lots of daylight then it needs replacing. I have tried it and I can pull it out a long way.

OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
I have also done the measure test and it has stretched.

Do I have to replace the cassette and crank as well??

Jody

Stubborn git
I have also done the measure test and it has stretched.

Do I have to replace the cassette and crank as well??

Chain wear doesn't have anything to do with the noise you describe. It is a symptom of running a triple chainset on bumpy ground as Chris pointed out.

Your options are switch to 1x** and lose the front mech or buy a clutch mech to reduce the amount the chain moves around. The second option, whilst making the bike quieter, won't make it go away as any slight side to side movement will make the chain contact the plates on your front mech.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you've not got the front mech well adjusted it will also rub on the chain in certain gears, especially the middle. You can 'trim' the gear if your shifters allow you to - an extra click to move the front mech out.

Also, if it's a cheaper triple, the chain rings might not run straight (true) and may have a little wobble causing rub.

You might need to spend a bit of time looking at the cause.

OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
Currently I have Shimano SLX on the bike. If I put on a clutch mechanism will I have to buy a specific one to fit the bike??

Top Bottom