noisy front brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
My brake pads are very noisy going downhill, when I pull hard on them! Is there a spray that I can put on rims? brakes? to ease this noise, so far only cleaned the rims with white spirit but does not seem to help? very annoying :sad:

You dont' say what type of noise or what type of pads, so there could be several reasons. Let's start with contaminated rims first, assuming that they have been running quietly up to now. You have to use an abrasive cleaner on the rims. Steel wool, water paper, abrasive kitchen scourer powder etc. Go right round till you've covered every inch of the rim, then soapy water and then rinse.

Kajjal

Guru
Take the pads off and have a look at them. They could be damaged or contaminated. As above cleaning the rims will also rule that out.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Could be a bit of grit or shard of metal trapped in the block that is cutting into the rim when applied. I would suggest removing the blocks, cleaning them down to pure rubber, or replacing them if economic to do so now, and go from there, I'm assuming that they're toed in right given your distinction between grinding and squealing.

Top Bottom