Noisy R8000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fairlight PSB

Hi folks
running mechanical R8000 ultegra group set , full ultegra including chain . One thing I’m getting is noise when on the 50 ring and the lower gears (easier gears) on the cassette . I never use big big cross chain combo but in the 2 gears next it’s just loud . Like friction . Loud chain noise . nearly like the chain hasn’t been oiled in years . I’ve checked Front mech for rub and indexing -all is fine . When I move down the block it’s fine no noise . In the 34 chainring all is quiet
Bike has less than 500 kmh on it ( Trek Emonda carbon ) it’s not a major issue but it’s annoying none the less .
I don’t really want to change chain as all is relatively new . I bought bike used

any ideas ?

raggydoll

Über Member
Does it sound like the noise you get when the rear mech isn't indexed properly? (a clicking sound like the chain isn't quite sitting on the cog right and wants to jump up or down to the next cog?)

Though I reckon it would do the same in the s34 chainring too if that was the case.

Is the chain well lubricated?

Is it just on the 1 cog or does it do it on the 3 big cogs few?
If it does it on the last big cogs of the cassette it could that the chain angle is too extreme in those combos. (though it should be fine).

vickster

Legendary Member
Says he bought the bike used (perhaps not from a shop), how know how new chain etc is?
But yes check rear hanger

raggydoll

Über Member
Surely this can't be something you need to put up with?
I just can't think what would actually be causing the noise!

OP
OP
Fairlight PSB

Fairlight PSB

Surely this can't be something you need to put up with?
I just can't think what would actually be causing the noise!

I like a quiet drivetrain for sure

OP
OP
Fairlight PSB

Fairlight PSB

I bought it used very low miles . It’s not mech rub but a dry friction type sound . Nearly like an old chain .
it’s like a bad chain line on the 50 -25 / 23 sprockets and as chain line gets into middle of block it’s quiet . Obviously I don’t use 50-28 ratio
It’s 11/28 cassette

Chain is correct way around . I’ll have another look . If it doesn’t ease up it’s off to the bike shop for an opinion . Funny feeling they will say there’s nothing wrong with it

can anyone recommend a quiet chain !

Last edited:

mpemburn

I had almost the exact same problem. New R8000 on a used frame. Although the frame appeared to be in pristine condition, I was getting noise and bad shifting on the mid-to-small cogs. On searching around, I saw suggestions that it might be the hanger. I had my LBS check the hanger, and they found it was slightly off. Once fixed, it shifts like a dream.

Top Bottom