Nologo Wheels. Good or bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Hi All. Firstly, let me apologise if this has been covered elsewhere but, I'm really poor at searching!

Anyway, the original Alex Rims on my Genesis Flyer SS are worn and I was looking at a pair of Nologo deep rims with Formula hubs as a budget replacement. I am familiar with the old addage of 'buy cheap buy twice' but, as my SS is only my occasional ride of choice, I'm not really willing to fork out hundreds of £'s on them. As always, your advice and knowledge would be greatly appreciated :notworthy:

Sharky

Guru
What price have you seen them for? They seem to be out of stock on the sites I have googled.

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
They are Deep section Rims with Quando Hubs (sorry, not Formula as I first thought) and come with tyres, tubes and possibly sprockets too, for £79.99 + £8.99 postage. They are currently on several different ebay sites for roughly the same price. Sorry if this reply gets duplicated but my phone has gone a bit weird 😤

Sharky

Guru
Wouldn't like to advise. I bought a pair of wheels from planet x for only £25. Have only used the front wheel on my SS, but was really pleased with it. So it is possible to pick up bargains.

Are both wheels in the same state? Just replacing one at this time might be better value. I always go for a normal road wheel for the front with qr.

Good luck with them if you decide to buy them. Give us feedback. Cheers Keith.

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
A chap in work today suggested going for standard road wheels and fitting spacers as I would probably find more options from the bigger brands. As you have suggested the Front Wheel is not a problem, but the idea of spacers on the rear seems a bit messy somehow!

davidphilips

Veteran
Not very hard to find either Shimano or mavic wheels on sale and if it was me i would go for these rather than wheels with Quando hubs. Seen some Shimano cosmic elite wheels out of stock at present on Ebay for a bit more (about £100) but might be worth keeping a look out for when they are in stock again?

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
Has anybody had experience with using spacers to make a wheel into a SS? Do you notice any real difference than with a SS specific wheel?

davidphilips

Veteran
Only disadvantage i can see a single speed wheel may be turned over so you can use it as a fixie,but as i dont use a fixie and like single speed i find it much better just to use a normal rear wheel that can be used on any of my bikes.

Attachments

• 100_8905[1].JPG
    100_8905[1].JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_8904[1].JPG
    100_8904[1].JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_8903[1].JPG
    100_8903[1].JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_8902[1].JPG
    100_8902[1].JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 98

Sharky

Guru
What is the width of your frame? A SS/Fixed frame will have 120mm width, whereas a road frame/road wheels will have 130mm widths.
So using spacers to replace a cassette will work, but you have to make sure the wheel will fit the frame without too much bending.

SJS Cycles have a wheelset for £119
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheelsw...en-sport-rims-with-sjsc-fixed-hubs-in-silver/

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
Only disadvantage i can see a single speed wheel may be turned over so you can use it as a fixie,but as i dont use a fixie and like single speed i find it much better just to use a normal rear wheel that can be used on any of my bikes.
Thanks for the advice. The swap-ability between bikes is a good idea, and I don't bother with riding 'fixed' either so that wouldn't be a problem. I take it the spacers just slip on/off the hub as easily as a cassette does?

Forgive my lack of knowledge here (again!) but, what is the purpose/advantage of using the tensioner that I see in your photo's? Is it anything to do with avoiding those myterious 'tight spots' that I've read about on SS/Fixies?

One of the things I like about riding the SS is having none of that annoying chain slap that occurs with a deralleur on uneven surfaces.

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
What is the width of your frame? A SS/Fixed frame will have 120mm width, whereas a road frame/road wheels will have 130mm widths.
So using spacers to replace a cassette will work, but you have to make sure the wheel will fit the frame without too much bending.

SJS Cycles have a wheelset for £119
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheelsw...en-sport-rims-with-sjsc-fixed-hubs-in-silver/
Nice wheels but I was thinking of going for 'boring' black next time as most of the other bits/bobs are black on my bike. I'm not a fashion follower (honest) it's just personal preference really.

Attachments

• 20200108_104859.jpg
    20200108_104859.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20200108_104838.jpg
    20200108_104838.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 37

Sharky

Guru
Thanks for the advice. The swap-ability between bikes is a good idea, and I don't bother with riding 'fixed' either so that wouldn't be a problem. I take it the spacers just slip on/off the hub as easily as a cassette does?

Forgive my lack of knowledge here (again!) but, what is the purpose/advantage of using the tensioner that I see in your photo's? Is it anything to do with avoiding those myterious 'tight spots' that I've read about on SS/Fixies?

One of the things I like about riding the SS is having none of that annoying chain slap that occurs with a deralleur on uneven surfaces.
You only need a tensioner if you have vertical rear drop outs. If that is your bike - you have horizontal drop outs, so you can move the wheel forward/backwards to take up any slack in the chain. Tight spots is something you live with. You just rotate the cranks to the "tight spot" and then tighten the wheel nuts, making sure the chain is not over taut.
But I'm pretty sure your rear fork ends will be spaced at 120mm, so using a standard road wheel would be problematic.

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
My bike, titanium litespeed was a geared bike so has 130 spacing at rear, There are some minor advantages of using a tensioner, i can use a longer chain so should last longer, no chain slap, plus i can use a chain holder when wheels are removed so no chain against the frame and makes cleaning and lube that bit easier, plus at a quick look it actually looks like its a geared bike so dont get as many silly questions when out on a club run. If your bike is steel then it should be easy to cold set for 130 wheels. Now i will start and just use same chains as with the rest of my bikes as i started using a single cog for the rear from old 8,9, or 10 speed cassettes.

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
They say that good luck shines on the righteous (that's me by the way :angel:) and yesterday whilst asking a bike mechanic friend how much he would charge to build me a set he said that he just happened to have a brand new set that he 'liberated' when the LBS he worked at closed down. I'm going to take a look tomorrow as he is asking a silly low price for them and I trust him to not sell me rubbish so hopefully problem solved 👍

Top Bottom