Nomadic life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't think anyone with friends/family would even consider this.
The article quoted above is about families (as in family units) who do this.

"Family" is a broad term. Parents? Brothers & Sisters? Children? Cousins?

And, I think a lot depends on culture. I've grown up with emigration as a fact of life. The idea of packing up to go and live in Australia is not an unusual one to me. For others, the idea of leaving their home town or even crossing the river of their home city is filled with monsters, dragons and dread.

It is amazing what technology can do these days in terms of staying in contact. And allowing people to make a living.

And as for loneliness? There are many, many people incredibly lonely despite living in the bosom of their families.

Most of the same arguments can be made against cycling by people who haven't cycled since childhood.
It's solitary, therefore lonely
It's selfish. I'm at home worrying about the cyclist being smashed up by drunk drivers
It's impossible. Who can cycle 10/20/30/100 miles or kms?
Cyclists are odd. Look at those silly outfits. And they break all the laws known to mankind.

Yet, those of us who know cycling know that there's lots of ways to do it. And enjoy it.

I've often thought that it would be great if the world was "reset"
The world had a great chance to "reset" and renew because of Covid.

We fecked up.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I met a French family in Japan cycling around the world, one child was 12 the other a baby born on their travels! What a truly fantastic way to get acquainted with the world as a child!

Jameshow

Veteran
You've mentioned similar many times.

A mural I saw contained the (translated by me) text....
"A wish changes nothing........ A decision changes everything".

What, specifically, is stopping you from making a decision and getting away, even for an overnighter? *
I recall a tent being bought, possibly a sleeping bag? There was talk of a cookset?

Often, when we reflect deeply the things holding us back are not the things we blame for holding us back.

Loading up the panniers and heading away suggests an impulsive activity. Impulsive can be positive, it can also be chaotic and damaging.
I'd imagine there are very few successful nomads who downed tools and hit the open road. Layers and layers of preparation were done, lessons learned, attitudes adjusted. I doubt many of this group drove 50 miles from home and suddenly found Nirvana.

My suggestion, as it nearly always is, is to get out there and give it a shot within whatever limits apply. A February overnighter may not be very long, nor comfortable but it is a first step in the right direction. (Those long winter nights in a tent can be a wonderful gift to ourselves - or feckin' miserable!) Any journey is made up of steps (or pedal strokes if you prefer) and not all of them are in the right direction.

Changing our thought pattern to "I'll bring better food/coffee/book next time" from "This is why I can't go this time" can be very liberating.
The very act of having made one step makes it easier to make the second step.

* My touring history is filled with "silly" overnighters. To the outside observer or the experienced, world travelling Bike Tourist they'd be viewed, at best as childish, at worst as pathetic. For me, overweight, unfit, stressed to the hilt they were important stepping stones across a scary, raging river into a different world. Each time I'd come back to my own world but having seen the alternative my perception of it was changing.
And before those there was an hour here and an hour there snatched from the chaos to just get out on my bike. I wasn't just travelling the bike paths in NL, I was going wherever my imagination led me. Step by step.

Yes deffo an overnighter or three!

As others have said responsibility weigh upon many of us both to parents and to children and a little escapism is often the pressure relief valve!

I will get out! I'm down in devon end of February so will be after that.
Probably locally first then further afield.

As others have said responsibility weigh upon many of us both to parents and to children
I don't think that has ever been denied. There are very few of us without responsibilities.
I find the use of the word "weigh" to be interesting.

However, I believe there is a fundamental difference between
"I could never do X because I have responsibilities"
and
"How can I do X with all my responsibilities?"

It sounds incredibly trite but once we stop looking at responsibilities as a weight, something heavy and immovable, and look on them as things that are "lighter" and open to reorganisation, no matter how subtle, then our perspectives can change.

I will get out!

Probably locally first

To be blunt, and probably harsh, these are expressions of a wish, a desire or a want.
They are not decisions.

You're no further along then the last time you posted similar.

"I'm busy until the end of February. The first weekend in March there's no Six Nations. I'm taking Saturday for myself and doing an overnighter. Now, I need to:
Get my gear organised.
Find a place to camp.
Get my family on board.
Sort out any other obligations
And I'm good to go.
Oh, I should also check out the Travelogue section on CC so I can write it up! ^_^

Now, that's a decision.

Good luck.

I met a French family in Japan cycling around the world, one child was 12 the other a baby born on their travels! What a truly fantastic way to get acquainted with the world as a child!

This is interesting to me.......
I can see a lot of benefits for the 12 year old, not so much the baby.

As you know from the Travelogue I met a Belgian family who had been travelling for several years, the youngest having practically no recollection of where they were from. Nothing wrong with being a citizen of the world but certainly an unusual situation.
The kids weren't getting any formal education and were approaching the age where most would be considering what career to pursue. Surprisingly, if I recall correctly, their Spanish wasn't great either!

I have no doubt that it's a wonderful experience and my understanding is that the parents were independently wealthy and not working. I recall feeling very uneasy thinking of the future in store for the kids, especially the youngest. Some people have fled their homes. Some people have willingly left. Some people never leave. But to not have a place to call home? That's hard.

All uphill

Still rolling along

As others have said responsibility weigh upon many of us both to parents and to children and a little escapism is often the pressure relief valve!

I will get out! I'm down in devon end of February so will be after that.
Probably locally first then further afield.

Maybe teaching my grandmother...

When we had a young family Ms AU and I would put a weekend off for her, and a weekend off for me in the diary.

That was fair and really made me focus on making the most of my planned time. I spent the first weekend camping in West Wales, and then loved the next weekend alone with the children

Jameshow

Veteran
Maybe teaching my grandmother...

When we had a young family Ms AU and I would put a weekend off for her, and a weekend off for me in the diary.

That was fair and really made me focus on making the most of my planned time. I spent the first weekend camping in West Wales, and then loved the next weekend alone with the children

My mate does that!!

I get a weekend off and I go and see my parents!

I will get a tour as I've brought the gear!

Maybe just a weekend but it's decompression!

nagden

Über Member
It is a lifestyle that has always appealed to me. I am currently following our friends latest journey. They are a couple in their seventies who have traveled extensively by bike and then land rover. When they are not travelling they share their time between the UK and NZ. They have covered the whole of Europe including Russia. Before Covid halted their travels they had traveled from Alaska to Guatemala. They are currently travelling Overland to South Africa and at this moment are in Senegal. It is not a journey I would undertake but good luck to them.

It is a lifestyle that has always appealed to me. I am currently following our friends latest journey. They are a couple in their seventies who have traveled extensively by bike and then land rover. When they are not travelling they share their time between the UK and NZ. They have covered the whole of Europe including Russia. Before Covid halted their travels they had traveled from Alaska to Guatemala. They are currently travelling Overland to South Africa and at this moment are in Senegal. It is not a journey I would undertake but good luck to them.

I met a retired French couple in Colombia and their story is very interesting.
They started several years ago in Alaska having brought their Campervan over and they are driving to Ushuaia in approximately six month stages.
They have family at home, notably grandchildren, so the Summer season is spent in France with family and the winter season is spent exploring the Americas. They find a safe place to store the van while they "go home".
I thought it was a very creative solution to two very competing desires.

I will get a tour as I've brought the gear!
I hate to be "that guy" but having all the "gear" is no guarantee of achieving anything.
Indeed, acquiring the "right" gear is often used as a delaying tactic. "I'll go when I have X bike or Y tent or Z sleeping pad is quite common. Especially these days when we are bombarded by targeted material online.
I know people like that and have met many, many more.

There's another inspiring thread on here about someone heading off with a beach shelter for a tent. Now, that is a great attitude!

I've mentioned before a guy I know in NL who makes a tidy living selling "as new" touring bikes. Bought with great plans, at great expense but as things turned out, the equipment wasn't the barrier to going.
I'm pretty sure a regular look on second hand sites will show a steady stream of similar.

One of the problems is that these people are unrepresented on fora like this. (In fact, most people who ride bikes are unrepresented.) There are not many who will willingly volunteer that they have some kind of a block, nearly always a fear of some kind, that prevents them heading away. Even for a day.

To go off an a tangent and to give an idea of some of the fears that affect people, I met a guy once while I was away on my bike. Oh, how he'd love to do something like that! And then came the buts. The expensive gear. I told him my bike cost €200 (and I overpaid!) The big distances. My shortest day is about 5km. And so on. Eventually, in a very roundabout way he suggested that the real problem was being alone in the silence, especially at night. Not a fear of the dark, nor of monsters or murderers but being alone, without distractions, with himself. That shut me up.

We see and read of the people who want to do it and those that do it. Rarely those that nearly did it. Any forum like this sees a steady stream of newbies full of enthusiasm, acquiring bikes and then disappearing. Perhaps gone off on tour, but I think, in most cases, not.

Despite how it may appear, I understand your responsibilities.
However, I see nothing in your posts that demonstrates how you plan to manage them. There's nothing of the detail like in the tent/sleeping bag/cookset discussions. When the responsibilities are afforded the same research, discussion and especially, action, then you'll be off!
Properly organised you'll be able to relax and get the full value.

You won't hear me but I'll be cheering the loudest.

Good Luck.

nagden

Über Member
They started several years ago in Alaska having brought their Campervan over and they are driving to Ushuaia in approximately six month stages.
They have family at home, notably grandchildren, so the Summer season is spent in France with family and the winter season is spent exploring the Americas. They find a safe place to store the van while they "go home".

I hate to be "that guy" but having all the "gear" is no guarantee of achieving anything.
Indeed, acquiring the "right" gear is often used as a delaying tactic. "I'll go when I have X bike or Y tent or Z sleeping pad is quite common. Especially these days when we are bombarded by targeted material online.

There's another inspiring thread on here about someone heading off with a beach shelter for a tent. Now, that is a great attitude!

I've mentioned before a guy I know in NL who makes a tidy living selling "as new" touring bikes. Bought with great plans, at great expense but as things turned out, the equipment wasn't the barrier to going.
I'm pretty sure a regular look on second hand sites will show a steady stream of similar.

One of the problems is that these people are unrepresented on fora like this. (In fact, most people who ride bikes are unrepresented.) There are not many who will willingly volunteer that they have some kind of a block, nearly always a fear of some kind, that prevents them heading away. Even for a day.

To go off an a tangent and to give an idea of some of the fears that affect people, I met a guy once while I was away on my bike. Oh, how he'd love to do something like that! And then came the buts. The expensive gear. I told him my bike cost €200 (and I overpaid!) The big distances. My shortest day is about 5km. And so on. Eventually, in a very roundabout way he suggested that the real problem was being alone in the silence, especially at night. Not a fear of the dark, nor of monsters or murderers but being alone, without distractions, with himself. That shut me up.

We see and read of the people who want to do it and those that do it. Rarely those that nearly did it. Any forum like this sees a steady stream of newbies full of enthusiasm, acquiring bikes and then disappearing. Perhaps gone off on tour, but I think, in most cases, not.

However, I see nothing in your posts that demonstrates how you plan to manage them. There's nothing of the detail like in the tent/sleeping bag/cookset discussions. When the responsibilities are afforded the same research, discussion and especially, action, then you'll be off!

Good Luck.

Our friends destination whilst travelling America was Ushuaia but following covid lock down they cut their losses and had the land rover shipped back to the UK via Mexico. I understand they intend to finish off their American trip in the future.

I think many of them use their parents or other relatives address.
Also, what puzzles me is what are they going to do when they are older, say 70 +? At the moment, all the ones I watch are between 25 and 50.
Their main stream of income seem to be from Youtube too. I know of one family with 4 children who are making about 2000 euros a month from their videos but they have to produce two a week for that of 30 minutes each. They never seem to be short of money either.

Bit late, but…..
They’ll never be free or be ’properly’ off-grid if they have to work all the time.
Seems like a contradiction.
But just my 2 bob’s worth.

Jameshow

Veteran

Good Luck.

I am the least organised person on the planet and I managed lejog in 8 days!

I've got other commitments to fit in too. The weather hasn't been great being winter!!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I think I misunderstood the thread. Of course "nomadic" lifestyle isn't about being a hermit or a loner. The travelling community lead such a life so I suppose it is possible in this country, but that is a can of worms I will not open.

It wouldn't do for me; I need routine, order and psychological comfort. Even when I saw a couple and their young (2-3y/o) child travelling around Asia it scared me to death. It's bad enough just having yourself as a twenty-something to look out for without a child.

I suppose it's one of those things where you have to be born into it, or at least have the confidence to start a completely fresh life. It might be just me and my family, but I think there is something inherent in humans that makes us want to build a home and stay there.

It wouldn't do for me
That's fair enough. We're all different.
I suppose it's one of those things where you have to be born into it, or at least have the confidence to start a completely fresh life
I doubt many were "born" into it. For some it's a necessity. For others an opportunity.
The fact of the matter is that people have been getting "out there" since humans first evolved. Without them, we'd still be living in caves.
Nor is there a need to start a "completely fresh life". Many people continue to work in the same fields as before but without being tied to a desk in an office. It's not like they turn their backs on friends or family either.
Some countries such as Spain are actually overhauling their tax system to make the place more amenable to digital nomads. Large parts of Spain have been depopulated and some villages are hanging by a thread. It is hoped that these people will bring a fresh life to these places.
In developing parts of the world digital (and non-digital) nomads often assist in the development of local businesses and services in return for a base for a while.
There are many doctors and nurses, not to mention less specialised volunteers with all kinds of organisations, who commit significant time to assisting in developing or crisis hit parts of the world.
it scared me to death
Fear, in my opinion, is the biggest barrier to doing what we want to do.

As I said earlier, it's a lot like cycling. There are many, many people too afraid to get on a bike and not just that, but who resent those that do.
there is something inherent in humans that makes us want to build a home and stay there.
There is something inherent in some humans that doesn't.

Even now, there are many cultures where nomadism is the norm.
There are many societies where twenty and thirtysomethings will be very, very lucky to "build a home".
It wasn't that long ago that jobs were for life. Those days are pretty much gone. And the jobs that are for life are normally Government jobs and remuneration and conditions are falling through the floor.
Again, it wasn't that long ago that one salary could support a home. These days two are normally required.
Given those circumstances it's hardly unusual that some people are looking for an alternative?

And it's not new. It's just that these days, because of technology, we can see it and even interact with those living it.
(Let's not forget though, that for some, what we see is how they make a living. There will always be pressure to keep the viewing figures up, to add drama, leave cliffhangers etc. and perhaps the truth suffers. That's no different to the many cycling related YouTube channels that are often little more than glorified advertisements and should be taken with a pinch of salt.)

Again, it's like cycling. With all the videos on YouTube of people taking their bikes to all kinds of places we might think that it's new. It's not. People have travelled the world on bikes since they were first invented. Bikepacking it's called now. Back in the day it was called cycling or travelling by bike.

Allen Swan 1891, Trans America cyclist
Screenshot 2023-02-04 1.46.33 PM.png

Modern bikepacking setup
Screenshot 2023-02-04 1.49.11 PM.png

Top Bottom