Nominee for the bad timing awards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
I was going up a rather steep hill and rounded a corner. I know this corner pretty well as low sided my motorbike going around it once (Long story!). This Honda overtakes giving me loads of space, this is not the problem though. What the Honda didn't take into account was the Focus coming in the opposite direction. The guy driving the Focus was far from impressed, his face just said it all :sad:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3IehdnsNS8

I do wonder about the mentality of folk overtaking on blind bends; it happens often and they get away with it 99.99% of the time. Unfortunately I was there that 0.01% of the time they don't. Freewheeling down a steephill round a bend into a village one muppet decided to overtake me; unfortunately there was a car coming the other way and faced with a head on collision they decided the better option was to swerve into me. :-(

I don't like to "direct" traffic, but when I can see around a corner the car behind can't and it's not clear (and I feel they will overtake) I put my hand out and wave a slight down and back motion... I give a thumbs once it is cleared and have had a few waves of thanks for it.

drsquirrel said:
I don't like to "direct" traffic, but when I can see around a corner the car behind can't and it's not clear (and I feel they will overtake) I put my hand out and wave a slight down and back motion... I give a thumbs once it is cleared and have had a few waves of thanks for it.
I waved on cars quite a few times who have clearly waited behind and had a few thanks from them occasionally but I've never tried the wait motion I doubt it would be effective with the muppets that are flying along at 60mph.

A road big enough for 60 is unlikely to have these corners, if someone did come up at 60 I would just dive into the bush, no arguing about it... :rofl:

If I can see around a corner before someone and it's clear I rarely wave as they might take too long to react and then a car comes along etc etc... I just try to position myself (and stop pedalling sometimes) to give them more room to start, if they notice that is.

On the subject of waving past...it's not something I tend to do though I can see why it might seem polite. Reason being that I'd never pass anyone on their wave-past anyway when driving

1) They may not have been making the gesture I thought they were
2) They may be extremely bad overtakers themselves and give me poor information
3) it is MY responsibility and no-one else's to ensure the overtake is safe
4) related to 2 and 3, I don't trust others to make these decisions anyway (yes, I am a terrible passenger)

drsquirrel said:
A road big enough for 60 is unlikely to have these corners, if someone did come up at 60 I would just dive into the bush, no arguing about it... :o)

If I can see around a corner before someone and it's clear I rarely wave as they might take too long to react and then a car comes along etc etc... I just try to position myself (and stop pedalling sometimes) to give them more room to start, if they notice that is.
Try telling that to some of the maniacs out there (a limit is just a limit, not a target), I'm maybe probably overestimating but I've went round tight bends at around 20 ish and it looks/ feels like they're going more than twice as fast. Double white lines and cyclist only doing 24 mph means you have to overtake :rofl: it did tonight anyway.

As you say though on bikes we're positioned so that we have superior vision; I only tend to wave them through when I'm positive its going to be clear for a long time, there's too many (rightfully so) hesitant drivers out there. :sad:

Top Bottom