NoMowMay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I wish I could bring myself to abstain totally, but I'm afraid that I need to settle for a small 10m X 4m area for bird feeding and wild flowers. As far as I can tell, the only people interested in no mow May, is the local councils. :whistle:

tom73

Guru
I've had and maintained professionally A1 standard lawns. I'm now more relaxed about it all nature needs all the help it can get. It's just the next stage in my organic gardening ,Something i've always practised. So will be leaving all mine other than cutting a path to get to the long border. The back lawn has for last few years been left and won't get another cut till late September. Part of a plan to move to all out meadow. Over the next few years as the flower beds get renewed only broad range of pollinator friendly flowers with be used. Some will be going all wildflower only.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Will anyone be participating in this activity, or will you be growing a beard, not drinking or or otherwise engaged during May?. I have a lot of family visits and my schedule is pretty full already.
If it stays as wet as it has been during April, there's no chance of me getting the mower out.

My neighbour is a professional gardener, and aside from his permanent job working on a large private estate, he also does some extra work for a garden contractor which contracts for mowing institutional lawns etc. Since 2020, he has persuaded the owners of one large area he mows regularly to let him do a first 'early' mow, then leave it until half-way through June. Of course it saves them money and it gives him extra free time at a period of the year when he needs it for his other interests. We're reasonably far north in England, and where he was mowing was on the edge of the pennines and at some elevation, so last frost can be fairly late - mid to end May.
Last year there was the reward of an entire bank of wild orchids flowering on a sloping bit of lawn which had been regularly mown every couple of weeks, apart from the winter months, for at least the past 20-plus years. The owners/managers asked him to care for that area appropriately so when he restarted mowing, he still left that area alone for a few more weeks and said he was very happy to see that in fine weather, staff would sit on the mown grass to eat their lunch, but were very careful about the area where the orchids were growing.
He is hoping for a bumper display this year. The landowners have put up notices about the area where the orchids grow so that it will be 'protected' for a long time.

Slick

Guru
Scarify. :okay:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Just a path through.
IMG_20230516_180652365_HDR.jpg

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My allotment was no mow last year and will be again this year. In 2022 it was alive with flying insects some of which I can't recall seeing since I was a child. Good to know they are still around. We are no mow again but I'm going to plan the paths more carefully this time to make the whole effect more aesthetically pleasing.........well Mrs P is going to do this. Some grasses have started to flower this week and I'm going to cut the paths tomorrow.

The garden "lawn" as we refer to it has been heavily scarified, I'll finish this off tomorrow and will be over sowing with rye grasses. I should be putting in more effort but we've just made a last minute decision to go away on Thursday for a couple of weeks so all I can do is chuck seed around tomorrow!!!

Top Bottom