Non cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I lose the desire to cycle for two or three days after a big ride or tour, so I am familiar with the feeling of not wanting to get out there. As soon as I recover from mental and physical fatigue I'm bursting to get out there again.

@MrGrumpy I hope you have found something as healthy to enjoy.

I walk my dog now , was maybe thinking of the gym . My knees are shot , not sure cycling would be doing them favours . I get out in the fresh air and if I’m really honest I actually don’t miss it . Last outing nearly had me in the bonnet of a car . I was on a shared path btw !!

potsy

Rambler
I had a couple of years away from cycle commuting but have now returned, only missed 2 days so far this year and those were when it was very icy.
Commute is much shorter now which helps.
Only cycle for work and the occasional short distance errand though, leisure cycling doesn't appeal to me at all these days, prefer to walk/hike.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I'm lucky in that I have only cycled for 12 years since starting again after a 40 year gap from my 20s. I only ride around three times a week in summer and twice a week through the worst months of winter so have not yet had enough time to get jaded.

I used to be a really keen runner, and team player in several sports, so know that all loves can come to an end.

Don't fret over it, just move on.

Yep was a keen footballer up until my early 40s and couldn’t do it . Knees and ankles just hammered , years of probably playing through injury . I gave it up and got serious with the cycle commute and did that for 10yrs now in all weathers . However it’s gone, pain in knee , battling with vehicles at points on the commute . It’s not worth it not 30 miles a day ? May introduce the train and thus stop being reliant on the car . However that requires a reliable train service !! I’ll be waiting a while !

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Not just the start of my hip problems by that cyclist falling on me, but when they closed the gyms 3 years ago due to lockdown it made matters worse! I was doing about 45 minutes, 5 nights a week on a static bike and doing half an hour on that climbing/escalator type machine, plus about 3 hours a week in the swimming pool. When the gyms closed that was it, I couldn't do any exercise apart from walking. The closing of gyms definitely added to my decline in fitness!

I remember the original thread.

How was it the other guy's fault if he fell off and you were following and rode into him?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I remember the original thread.

How was it the other guy's fault if he fell off and you were following and rode into him?

I thought someone might go back and try to find something to discredit my words. He had a wobble at some traffic lights, fell to his right where I was, landed on top of me, got himself up without a word then rode off, leaving me there with a tingling sensation in my right hip. It was the 24th of August 2016. No doubt you're now going to go back and try to find more words to cast doubt on what I said.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I thought someone might go back and try to find something to discredit my words. He had a wobble at some traffic lights, fell to his right where I was, landed on top of me, got himself up without a word then rode off, leaving me there with a tingling sensation in my right hip. It was the 24th of August 2016. No doubt you're now going to go back and try to find more words to cast doubt on what I said.

Sorry, but maybe I mis-remembered the original post. I thought he fell off in front of you.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Sorry, but maybe I mis-remembered the original post. I thought he fell off in front of you.

And sorry for snapping, but it riles me every time I think of the incident and him who caused it!

Thinking about it again now, I could get quite paranoid and say/think he did it on purpose. Maybe he didn't, but he never liked me, probably because I turned up for club rides in 'flashy kit', but that's how I am. I hate the way the cycling club just dismissed it saying "you should've been insured". They never suggested that when I joined. I was only in that club for 2 or 3 years, if I remember rightly. Out of my roughly 100,000 plus miles of cycling miles over the decades I must've only done a few thousand riding with someone else or others. If I ever ride a bike again it'll be alone, not with someone else and definitely in a clique cycling club!

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Did you sue him in the end?

No, but maybe I should've done. I thought I'd leave it to 'greater powers' to pay him back. ;) Maybe he fell down a ditch on one of his rides and came a cropper. He was a bad mannered rider and I wasn't the only one who thought so. The club/ride rules were that when approaching an obstacle like a pot hole or road kill you'd point it out to the riders behind you, or shout something (I can't remember the exact words), but he didn't, saying stuff like "if they can't see it they want their eyes testing". On one ride I was behind him. He was waffling on about his holiday to another rider. I saw an obstacle, but he didn't point it out at all. During the cafe stop I said something like "could we all please point out dangers on the road instead of waffling on about trivialities". Not directly at him, but mainly meant for him. He'd also do lots of undertakes, coming at you from the left then slowing down suddenly nearly causing a pile up. The club's Wednesday ride organiser put it down to his 'competitive past as a very good amateur who won quite a few trophies'. Is/was undertaking allowed in races? I wouldn't have thought so, but maybe it is, or was in his day.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Each to his own but I never 'got' club rides. On my own or with my long time mate.

I used to be a club rider, great fun, eventually what I wanted from a ride changed and I started doing solo rides instead, I wanted to explore more of the countryside I was riding through rather than just following a wheel and not seeing a lot, I enjoyed it whilst I was doing it though.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Not been on my bike for over a year now due to health issue - kidney knackered by large stone blockage in ureter.

Only last week I got it (the bike not the kidney) ready to go (safety check, lubed, tyres pumped) intending to go out for a 'first' ride this week.

But, last Friday I took Birthday Girl out for a posh lunch and then round to friends for a very merry evening.

And, starting on Sunday, we both now have a heavy cold - aches, sniffles and sore throat.

So probably no 'first' ride this week.

Next week it is then... when I will become an ex-non-cyclist. :bicycle::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Top Bottom