non-hub dynamo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
Does anyone have any experience of these? I've found a couple that seem to attach a roller to a little generator on that tracks either they rim or the tyre. It wouldnt be for any tanscontinental stuff but I'm thinking it might be useful for a few weeks round wales or something - and certainly cheaper and easier than getting a new wheel with a dynamo hub!

RegG

Über Member
This sounds like the type of dynamo I had some 50 years ago! The roller ran on the side of the tyre to turn the generator. Worked ok but I suppose it would slow you down with the friction on the tyre.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
This sounds like the type of dynamo I had some 50 years ago! The roller ran on the side of the tyre to turn the generator. Worked ok but I suppose it would slow you down with the friction on the tyre.

Yeah, the technology seems quite basic but I would hope theyve managed to get the friction down by now! :laugh:

Follow up question to anyone reading, how much could I expect to pay for my LBS to pop a dynamo in my Mavic Askium One disk wheel?

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
I doubt they would do that. It would be way easier, and not hugely more expensive to build a whole new wheel

I was just about to start a new thread when I realised I'd started this one a while ago!

For a disk hubbed wheel most of the prices I can find online seem to quote around the £300 mark for anything resembling anything reputable. But a dynamo at about £100 - How much do you think a decent LBS would charge to do the magic and pop it into the existing one?

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Put a dynamo hub into your existing rim? Hardly worth it. The spokes would need replacing as well unless, by some miracle, the dynamo hub had the same dimensions as your existing one. The only saving would be the rim and, seeing as a Rigida Chrina costs about £20, it is not much in the overall picture.

Yeah, I can see the logic, but I also can't seem to see the saving over-all. Could you point me in the direction of a reasonably priced disk wheel? I'm concerned I'm missing something!

Spoke set ~£30
Hub ~£100
Labour £?

New Wheel - £300...

midlife

Guru
Bottle dynamos seem to have come on a bit since the 70's lol

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article...8467.NTAzNTE&gclid=CLjmwaipsM8CFYccGwodgkgA0A

583023_1.jpg

Shaun

Rodger

Hola Yo'll

Yelp - The 6 Volt Bottle Unit was first used in 1950 ( auto's of the era also used 6 Volts ). Not a thing wrong with having and using one.

It is the draw of what you are using for a light that makes it hard to understand. Back in yester-year a Light blub - "on" - was about equal as pedaling into the wind. With LED Lights it is different.

With today's Cell Phones and the like --- one can use these to supply Electric Power and you Track Your Ride or take a photo at every bush you see ( or power a light ).

Rodger & Gabby
Colo Spgs

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Bottle dynamos aren't any more efficient than they were 30 years ago. The current best are probably the B+M Dymotec 6 or the Axa HR, which are quite a bit more draggy than a mediocre hub, even when well set up. More efficient bottle dynamos were produced (Lightspin & B+M S6), but weren't all that much cheaper than a SON hub, and still had the other drawbacks like being noisy and slipping in the wet, so, as most people spending that much opted for the hub, they are no longer available.

A good quality dynohub wheel costs about £130 from Spa. There's no performance difference between these and the £210 to £250 SONs.

I would comment that LED lights don't take any less power than old filament bulb lights did, they just give a whole lot more light.

When setting up a sidewall dynamo, take great care to get the roller axis at right angles to the rim/tyre - i.e. the roller axis intersects the hub axis, when projected. If it doesn't, the roller will be crabbing on the tyre, the drag will increase considerably, and the tyre will get damaged if you don't spot it and fix it.
As Ian said, you have to run the roller on a rubber coated part of the tyre, which means the edge of the tread.
A possible problem is the dynamo alignment being knocked out, perhaps by someone parking their bike on top of yours. There's also the possibility of the dynamo mounting bracket damaging the paint on your frame, assuming you don't have a brazed on bracket.

Last edited:
Top Bottom