Non-political consequences of COVID

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
During the lockdowns I've developed an interest in watching the birds in the garden. It's been an unexpected delight.
I don't know if or how it's pandemic-related, but there's been a noticeable increase in wildlife over the last few years in our back garden. My wife gets angry at the squirrels digging up her bulbs, and the sheer brazenness of the foxes, which play in the back garden, walk up to the all-glass doors and peer in curiously. Many birds, from magpies to sparrows to tits blue and great. I regard the whole thing as like having a David Attenborough programme, for real, full time, just on the other side of the glass. A daily delight, and a privilege.
I've got out the habit of going to the pub even infrequently.
Pretty much every evening: 5.30ish, book and a pint, home for dinner. 20+ years. Stopped. I may return to it when the weather picks up (reading in a dim pub after sundown had always been an issue), but for now I don't really feel it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
the huge reduction in home visitors means I'm even less inclined to tidy up after myself :okay:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Zoom and teams meeting with friends when the weather is too horrible to cycle across town.
I carried on most of my voluntary work started in lockdown, even though I'm working full time again.
Keep on growing vegetables!

The joke here (Norway) is that once the one metre social-distancing rule has been relaxed, then they’ll return to the traditional, and preferred, three metres.
Have you seen the hilarious YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/YOURWAY2NORWAY ^_^

Chief Broom

Veteran
Being a loner in the Highlands nowt much different. Ironic though in lockdown i started to recognise/bump into the locals as instead of driving somewhere to walk their dogs people would be walking close to home...didnt make any sense.
My neighbour made me laugh when it was ok'ed for physical contact [hugs etc] between relatives, friends,,,,She said i didnt hug the ****ers before and im not hugging the ****ers now! :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I now sleep with my hairdresser, something I plan to continue...

Are you a short back and sides lover from Liverpool?

My haircuts have been accompanied by comments like 'oops' and 'oh dear'.:ohmy:
That was before lockdown.

When I switched hairdressers to myself and some clippers I just took my time and kept cutting until I could live with the results first cut was very very short but later I could take a little off without messing up.

byegad

Legendary Member
I'm much richer, instead of routinely tapping into my overdraft at the end of the month I'm constantly 'in funds'. My Credit Card routinely sees me pay it off at the month end and the car has reduced mileage, to about 30% of pre-covid levels. So saving more money on Petrol.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Definitely lost some fitness (stamina) - partly exacerbated by arm injury keeping me off of my bike. Mainly though due to lack of hiking with friends during lockdown.

Two years ago a 20-miler in the mountains hiking would be a substantial day out but would be viewed as standard fodder - seems slightly daunting at the moment although I did breeze 11 miles a fortnight back; so maybe its all in my head.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm back commuting by bike when in the office - that saves about £6 a day in fuel alone - so £12 a week and associated wear and tear. Enjoying gardening more as we're home to 'look at it' rather than be in the office. Down side, is saved fuel costs are going into heating and water use.

Only got a few weeks into commuting again when Bojo sent us home, but noticed the fitness increase, so despite fighting an all mighty headwind this morning, it's all good.

Top Bottom