Non-shin-shredding pedal advice, please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RamoRuon

Hi all :hello:,

Spent a couple of hours Googling without success. Lots of 'close but no cigar' results.

Thought I'd throw it out to the community before I give up entirely since, knowing my luck, someone's probably familiar with my conundrum and I wouldn't even have asked :rolleyes: !

Basically looking for as flat a pedal as possible - definitely no pins, please! One that can accommodate footstraps, ideally plastic.

To give you an idea:

These and these are nice but don't accommodate footstraps, while these and these accommodate footstraps but are metal.

Any recommendations? Or do I have a better chance of finding hens' teeth ^_^ ?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Something like these?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBB-Stea...427504&hash=item1efaefeb9e:g:URgAAOSwQ6Zc4~8A
1610199054446.png

Sharky

Guru
What sort of foot straps are you planning to use?
With toe clips?
If just the straps, I envisage it would be quite difficult to get your foot into the straps without toe clips.

OP
OP
RamoRuon

RamoRuon

Something like these?

Not really, no. I use a variety of shoes on my commuter/runaround (anything from boots to low-profile running shoes) and toeclips have always seemed like they'd be restrictive.

But I appreciate the suggestion :okay:

What sort of foot straps are you planning to use?
With toe clips?
If just the straps, I envisage it would be quite difficult to get your foot into the straps without toe clips.

Yeah, just straps (like these). I must confess I haven't had any major problems with foot entry thus far (after 18 months).

MKS Sylvian Touring.
Your search is now over.

Sorry, should have said in the OP - no teeth, either ^_^ ! Plus, they're metal :sad: ...

OP
OP
RamoRuon

RamoRuon

Those look good. I hadn't thought of ones like that. Was thinking more of the single straps that go with toe clips.

I got a cheap Chinese set off eBay for £3-odd. For the money, the improvement in power transfer/efficiency is brilliant.

Not sure I'd pay Restrap prices given I could go clipless for similar, but then their build quality does look pretty good - for example, I doubt the Chinese ones will last unblemished the 4 years he mentions in the product video - so it's probably a case of YGWYPF.

OP
OP
RamoRuon

RamoRuon

OK folks, after going down another Google rabbit hole, I've finally found what I was looking for. Thanks for all the suggestions :okay: !

For anyone with the same problem reading this years into the future, a couple of options (or their derivatives) to explore:

XLC City/comfort pedal PD-C10:
https://www.xlc-parts.com/en/urban/bike-parts/pedals/515/city/comfort-pedal-pd-c10

or

Tuneway Urban Flat Pedals:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tuneway-Pedals-Platform-Trekking-Single/dp/B08F4Z1KTB/ref=sr_1_649?dchild=1&keywords=Grip+Tape+Pedals&link_code=qs&qid=1610220575&rnid=1642204031&s=sports&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=1-649

Mods feel free to lock this thread :becool:

Top Bottom