Non-Toxic cleaning fluid.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a non.toxic cleaning fluid? I'm looking for something I can put in a bowl and leave mucky components like derailleurs overnight, then ask a client to clean up the next day. It'll be a mucky job so I want it to be as quick and easy as possible, but obviously not to involve corrosives or fumes as well, something orange or vinegar based would be ideal.

Any ideas? Home made solutions you recommend?

sleuthey

Legendary Member
errrrr…. White vinegar?

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Vinegar is not a degreaser and is pretty much useless for cleaning bike components unless they're somehow covered in limescale.

There are plenty of eco-friendly, biodegradable degreasers. Check-out Simple Green and the like...

I use it for rusted chains, in fact anything rusted.

For oil removal on mechs I’d give it a scrub in white spirit, paraffin, whatever is to hand. I don’t let it soak though

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
IPA. If it doesn't evaporate you can burn it to CO2+ H2O.

Will Surgical Spirit work on mechanicals? I use it on electronic stuff.

Attachments

• OIP.h3iv6zxLGUkaDIQL38ZxhgHaJ4.jpg
    OIP.h3iv6zxLGUkaDIQL38ZxhgHaJ4.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1
Are your clients* likely to try and swig the cleaners (alcohols/orange) suggested? A hideously smelling fluid might be better.

* I can't recall the needs/issues of those you support.

My team probably not, but other people in the building might. I also have to do a full safety case and prepare the documentation if I use anything dangerous.

The main issue is that this is to try and make work for some of the "less capable" clients: they don't need to know what they are working on, just to clean it. I'd like to have some kind of solution we can drop mucky parts into during the day, leave to soak overnight, and then give the parts to a client the next morning to scrub in hot soapy water, because no matter what we try and do, if it's dangerous some clients will find the one way they can hurt themselves with it...

C R

Guru
My team probably not, but other people in the building might. I also have to do a full safety case and prepare the documentation if I use anything dangerous.

The main issue is that this is to try and make work for some of the "less capable" clients: they don't need to know what they are working on, just to clean it. I'd like to have some kind of solution we can drop mucky parts into during the day, leave to soak overnight, and then give the parts to a client the next morning to scrub in hot soapy water, because no matter what we try and do, if it's dangerous some clients will find the one way they can hurt themselves with it...

Citrus based degreaser may be your best bet. Problem is that some people may think it is lemonade because of the smell.

Top Bottom