noob after sum advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shakie1973

Hi guys, 1st post so hello......and go easy !!

I've decided the time has come to cycle to work.
After trawling the net and local cycle shops browsing and picking up advice, ive opted for the ridgeback tempest.
I told the guy that i would be using it on a mix of roads and some local cycle tracks, on my route to work. I was told off a few staff at different shops that i should strear clear of total or front suspension, as i wouldnt need it for what i need.
I picked the bike up earlier today and took it out for a few miles tonight, both on dirt track and road. I enjoyed the ride, the bike is pretty light and the gear changes are sweet.
However when i got back tonight i noticed both wheels appear to have a wobble on them. Dont know if buckle is the right word, as its not side to side movement, but movement on the spin of the wheel......hope you know what i mean. I havent been rough with the bike, so what have i done wrong??
Advice please guys!!

cheers

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
sounds like the hubs might need tightening up (if you can move the wheels side to side). take the bike back to where you got it and they should fix it free of charge.

domtyler

Über Member
Take it back to the shop tomorrow, the wheels being round is kind of fundamental! :biggrin:

And welcome btw! :ohmy:

bonj2

"out of true radially" is the correct term if you want to sound like you know what you're talking about

OP
OP
S

shakie1973

Cheers guys,

So i havent done anything wrong?................yeah i know, another noob !!
And the shop wont have a problem with me taking it back?

Also is it ok to use the ridgeback tempest on or off road (its not strickly an on road bike is what im trying to get at)
also, is my selection of bike ok...........how does the ridgeback rate with you guys.

Finally, what is the correct term i should use when i ring the shop tomorrow (for the wheel wobble i mean)

Thanks again guys !!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Check it's not the tyres that are wobbling - look at the rim as well.

Let us know what sort.

It can be out of true up and down (i.e. egg shape) or left to right. Also if you grab the tyre rim, and push side to side do you feel a movement at the bearing (will sort of click) - that's loose bearings and easily fixed.

How out of true is it ?

Hello shaky - what Steve says is true - often the rubber profile of tyres seems to give the appearance of 'wobble' as the wheel rotates.
Take a look at the gap between the rim and, say, the brake block. If the gap is more or less consistent when you rotate the wheel then your wheel is not pinged out of true ('radially' cf bonj 2008).
Don't worry about asking questions of the people who sold you the bike - it's their job and should be pleased to reassure you, whatever query you have. That way, you will build a trusting relationship...

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
shakie1973 said:
Finally, what is the correct term i should use when i ring the shop tomorrow (for the wheel wobble i mean)

Thanks again guys !!

"The wheels are shagged" should do it :biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
shakie1973 said:
Cheers guys,

So i havent done anything wrong?................yeah i know, another noob !!
And the shop wont have a problem with me taking it back?

Also is it ok to use the ridgeback tempest on or off road (its not strickly an on road bike is what im trying to get at)
also, is my selection of bike ok...........how does the ridgeback rate with you guys.

Thanks again guys !!

that bike should be fine on roads, although i'd recommend getting slick (untreaded) tyres, or alternatively pumping the tyres up to about 60 psi (check that the tyre is ok for that by looking for the psi rating on the wall of the tyre) if you're going to be doing a lot of tarmac bashing.

the bike is also perfect for canal towpaths, bridleways and light trails. i'd avoid serious downhill offroading though. you can make the bike more of a serious offroader by adding suspension forks if you ever feel the need.

worth remembering that the rougher the terrain, the faster parts of the bike (eg chain) get worn out and need replacing.

OP
OP
S

shakie1973

Hi guys,

Just been in the garage and had a look. The rims are Alexrim DP17 and the tyres are Continental sport contact.
When i looked at the tyres they look even, however when i focused on something behind the wheel, and spun both front and back wheels, the rim apeared to spin even, and the movement seemed to be on the outside(tyre) and not the rim.

cheers

OP
OP
S

shakie1973

Hi guys,
Done as you all said and rang the shop up this morning. The guy was fine and said to bring it up and he would have a look. Got there and he said the tyres were'nt seated correctly. I left him with it and rang him up just now, but he said the tyres just will not seat correctly, and he thinks he will have to put new ones on.
Why has this happened, im a little confused, but dont think its anything ive done. When i rode the bike for the 1st time last night it was on a mix of road and some bridal/old railway lines, and yeah i bumped up and down the odd curb, but this was with my weight off the sadle??

cheers

OP
OP
S

shakie1973

Ok,

Just got the bike back, but he said the 1.5 continental slicks that where on just would not seat in the rim. He has put 1.6 continentals (with a slight tread on) and he said they are fine. He showed me another ridgeback tempets(with the 1.5 slicks on) and it was the same. Must have been a dodgey batch if tyres i guess.
So im gona take it out now and see how it is with the new ones on.

cheers guys !!

simonali

Guru
Sounds like you have the same tyres as me now (Sport Contacts). Good tyre and (so far) pretty puncture proof. I've used them on and off road, with the off road meaning river/canal paths, not mountain biking!

OP
OP
S

shakie1973

Just got back after a 12 miler, the new continentals seem spot on, not a wobble in sight!

Only trouble is i dont have a bluddy clue how to fire up my new sigma comp. The destructions are damn near impossible to read;) any advice guys !!

cheers again!

Top Bottom