Noob from West Lothian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dibs

Veteran
Hi folks,

Just joined here as I am always open to any help or advice.

I am getting a bike in a week or 2 from the cycle2work scheme, my initial plan is to cycle once a week to work, which will result in a 24 mile round trip. I am not fit at the moment and my figure ain't what it used to be...
whistling.gif

I hope that starting this will get me into cycling again and get me out more during the summer months.

I have posted in the 'What bike etc' forum the choices I have for bikes, if anyone has the time to have a look and offer any advice i'd be grateful!!

Cheers.

D.

fraggle

:bicycle: hey fellow newbie! my whole mad family commute,its fantastic. no fuel/public transport costs, exercise, fresh air, pesonal space....[im not a toff or anything, but busses drive me nuts. i always ended up crammed in someones sweaty armpit, or next to The Person Reeking of Urine]

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
wave.gif
Dibs and
wave.gif
to CycleChat !

There are loads of CC folk from Embra/Lothians/Central/Glesga and we meet up for rides when the weather gets a bit better (only a bit, mind you
rain.gif
cold.gif
vishenka_34.gif
!)

A suggestion for the commute is to cycle there day 1, alternative transport (bus, train, lift etc) back. Alternative transport to work on day 2, cycle back. Repeat until fit enough to cycle both ways, one or two days a week, then build it up.

Wiser heads than mine will be giving you lots of useful advice concerning your What Bike ? post, so I'll say nowt
ohmy.gif

Hope you get what you need and we'll see you on the road soon. Keep an eye on the CC & Informal Rides section - that's where we post about our CC Ecosse Forum Rides. :bicycle:

Attachments

• wave.gif
    wave.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Dibs

Dibs

Veteran
wave.gif
Dibs and
wave.gif
to CycleChat !

There are loads of CC folk from Embra/Lothians/Central/Glesga and we meet up for rides when the weather gets a bit better (only a bit, mind you
rain.gif
cold.gif
vishenka_34.gif
!)

A suggestion for the commute is to cycle there day 1, alternative transport (bus, train, lift etc) back. Alternative transport to work on day 2, cycle back. Repeat until fit enough to cycle both ways, one or two days a week, then build it up.

Wiser heads than mine will be giving you lots of useful advice concerning your What Bike ? post, so I'll say nowt
ohmy.gif

Hope you get what you need and we'll see you on the road soon. Keep an eye on the CC & Informal Rides section - that's where we post about our CC Ecosse Forum Rides. :bicycle:

Cheers Scoosh,

I'll keep an eye out for rides, good to know there are a few from rounds these parts...
biggrin.gif

I like your idea of splitting the journey, it had gone through my head, and I think it is the way to go especially for the first month or so...

thumbsup.png

Attachments

• wave.gif
    wave.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 28

ACS

Legendary Member
There are loads of CC folk from Embra/Lothians/Central/Glesga/ and we meet up for rides when the weather gets a bit better (only a bit, mind you
rain.gif
cold.gif
vishenka_34.gif
!)

David forgot to mention those of us who reside north and north west of the FRB who occassionally get permission from the guardians to travel to places below the snow line to enjoy the company of like mind cycling folk. :whistle:

Welcome from the non lowlanders.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
David forgot to mention those of us who reside north and north west of the FRB who occassionally get permission from the guardians to travel to places below the snow line to enjoy the company of like mind cycling folk. :whistle:

Welcome from the non lowlanders.

In my defence, y'r Honour, I became aware, as I was adding to the 'locations list', that I could have ended up including all of Scotia, for we have CC-ers from all over this fair country.
thumbsup.png

I chose to list those locations nearest to the OP's home in West Lothian, as these would be the fellow cyclists he is most likely to encounter.
fiets870.gif

Mr satan's budgie is, of course, quite correct in drawing attention to the presence of CC folk further afield from the central area I had indicated.

I stand corrected and must further practice 'making right choices'.
blush.gif

biggrin.gif

ACS

Legendary Member
In my defence, y'r Honour, I became aware, as I was adding to the 'locations list', that I could have ended up including all of Scotia, for we have CC-ers from all over this fair country.
thumbsup.png

I chose to list those locations nearest to the OP's home in West Lothian, as these would be the fellow cyclists he is most likely to encounter.
fiets870.gif

Mr satan's budgie is, of course, quite correct in drawing attention to the presence of CC folk further afield from the central area I had indicated.

I stand corrected and must further practice 'making right choices'.
blush.gif

biggrin.gif

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

FetterSteve

Welcome Dibs from another newbie.

Sounds like you are spoilt for company down your way unlike the frozen north up here ( Aberdeenshire) . Haven't seen or heard of another CC'er this far up but no doubt one will be along now to prove me wrong :biggrin:

OP
OP
Dibs

Dibs

Veteran
Cheers guys....

Ordered my bike today (or at least getting it delivered to my nearest Halfords) prior to me getting my voucher...

Decided on this one:

GT Aggressor

Just need to call once I get my voucher so that it is ready for me!!!

£400 with I reckon about another £130 to spend on accessories.

Bell Avanti helmet
Bar ends
Mud guards
Respirator

Plus probably some slick road tyres for the commute with the off roads for once I get fit (i'm thinking around 2018)... :tongue:

OP
OP
Dibs

Dibs

Veteran
Meant to add, thanks to the other newbies for their welcome!!

Of the few forums that I joined to get help/advice, this has been by far the friendliest!!!

cool.gif

ACS

Legendary Member
Welcome Dibs from another newbie.

Sounds like you are spoilt for company down your way unlike the frozen north up here ( Aberdeenshire) . Haven't seen or heard of another CC'er this far up but no doubt one will be along now to prove me wrong :biggrin:

:welcome::bicycle:

Should (may, don't hold me to this, outside chance kind of commitment) be up your neck of the woods mid April to grovel round the Dee Lecht-able 200km audax.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
:hello: Hello Dibs & FetterSteve (Fettercairn?), too, from another CC Ecosse member!

Looking forward to seeing you on a ride sometime soon ... I was looking longingly out of the office window today and thinking that spring may just be round the corner, finally :wahhey:

As Scoosh & SB have said, there are a few of us, we like to meet up for a chat (any excuse for some cake, really :hungry: ) ...

Depending on whereabouts you are in West Lothian, you may have some fellow CCers right on our doorstep :ohmy:

T

FetterSteve

Yup, Telemark I'm in Fettercairn right at the bottom of the Cairn O' Mount (another of my Targets but maybe not this year!!)

SB is that the same route as the Deeside Loop on the "Any given Sunday" DVD. Watched it the other night.

I'll have the coffee and cake ready :thumbsup:

Top Bottom