Noob here! I want a fast flat bar bike for commuting!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MorgUk

Hi guys,

Haven't been on a bike for years but have recently been looking at getting one and replace my 125cc motorbike. My reasons for getting one are:

• Fitness and fatburning
  • No fuel
  • No insurance
What I'm going to use the bike for:

• Commuting - my only means of travel (Uni is 7 miles away)
  • Fitness

I know I can't get everything in my budget but this is what I want in a bike:

• Fast, light as possible for the money
  • Durable and reliable
  • Flat bar - the road bikes look to agressive for commuting
  • Good looks if possible
  • A good make

Budget: £500 and under! Cheaper the better!

I guess the Giant Rapid 4 is the kind of thing I'm looking at. I am a total noob though at all of this so any advice is welcome!

If anyone wants to convert me to a road bike I'm open to suggestions!
Also interested in peoples views if you can get a 'fast' hybrid bike. I guess I mainly just want a light bike.

Cheers guys,
Morg.

jimboalee

A common mistake made by the Noob is presuming a bike is 'fast' because it is lighter and sleeker.

The are many lads ( and lasses ) on this forum who would be 'faster' on an old steel gent's 'sit up and beg' than a complete Noob on a 22lb hybrid bike.

It comes as a bit of a shock when the Noob discovers that his legs are replacing the 125cc ICE for providing power for forward propulsion.

For a 7 mile ride to Uni', I would suggest an old 'something or other' that will depreciate less after a few days of bad weather, is undesirable to the local villians; and depart lodgings 10 minutes earlier.

OP
OP
M

MorgUk

Hi jimboalee, cheers for the reply!

I currently do weight training, including legs and accept that I will have to build up strength in my legs esp the slow twitch fibres to get used to long distances.

As I will be selling my 125cc bike - I want to invest my money into a bike I will be using everyday.

Good comments about about using an older bike, less chance to get nicked etc.
Although, I do want to take bike riding seriously and get a quality bike for my money.

Cheers :biggrin:

jimboalee

MorgUk said:
Hi jimboalee, cheers for the reply!

I currently do weight training, including legs and accept that I will have to build up strength in my legs esp the slow twitch fibres to get used to long distances.

As I will be selling my 125cc bike - I want to invest my money into a bike I will be using everyday.

Good comments about about using an older bike, less chance to get nicked etc.
Although, I do want to take bike riding seriously and get a quality bike for my money.

Cheers :biggrin:

I will rewrite this sentance correctly.

"Although, I do want to take cycling seriously and will get a commute hack and a quality bike for my money".

Alan Whicker

Have a look at the Trek FX range. Starts from about £300. I've got the 7.3FX which I love - very nippy. There are similar bikes from Ridgeback, Specialized and Kona. Well worth trying a few different brands.

There are lots of fans of the Carrera Subway from Halfords. It's available for £279 at the moment. You're in that hands of Halfords staff in getting it set up, mind.

Remember to budget for a decent lock!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just because a bike has drops doesnt mean you have to use them, perhaps I miss the point but, really what is the point in a "fast framed" bike with skinny wheels then putting flat bars on it so you cant use it to its maximum potential, you can ride with your hands on top of drop bars if you so desire, or on the hoods. I commute on my fixed wheel time trial conversion, no comfort issues whatsoever. Over 7 miles as long as you arent riding a jump bike with a seat slammed to the frame or a bmx bike you will not struggle.

Im going to suggest buying an approx £300-400 single speed/fixed wheel bike, making sure you have a brake on it. Fuji track with a brake added or a langster or something maybe. That will be a very fast commute friendly bike.

OP
OP
M

MorgUk

Cheers Alan and Robert.

Have been looking a lot at the Trek FX bikes, although I'm not to sure what the differences is between the models. I like they hand grips they have also :evil:

Had a look at the Kona Dew, and the Specialized Globe Vienna.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
^^ Same really, mainly because drop bars give you pretty much the same hand possition possibilities as flat bars without the catch of having to spend a tonne on STI shifters should you decide that you actually wished you could get more aero when you become a speed addict and want to add drop bars.

Also you would ride on the hoods (the bit on top of the brake lever/shifter) most of the time most likely,hence riding in a possition similar to "bull bars". So very stable.

Not saying its wrong to go for flat bars (because being a noob myself im probly missing some advantage or something associated with them), just saying that something you should consider is the price to convert to drop bars, like £150+ when you think about sti levers.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
redddraggon said:
A lower position is far far more stable.

Maybe OP has seen too many people wobbling around at 3mph on the drops, lol.

I hold my hands up to feeling unsafe on the drops at 1st. But you get used to it.

OP
OP
M

MorgUk

Ok guys I'm being converted. What do you think about the San Remo I posted? I must say the looks are very nice but is the bike any good? What should I look for?

Thanks for all responces!

Top Bottom