Noodle Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

On the other arm to the noodle.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The hex bolt on one of the arms is the clamp. Loosen off a little and let some cable slip through as you hold the brake arms. Then tighten up.

Google "adjusting v brakes" - loads on there

alicat

Legendary Member
duhhhh
I feel ever so inferior here. You people know too much about bikes! I truly appreciate your patience. :smile:

Here's a fact @WillyWill - most of us were beginners once and some of us are still beginners at bike maintenance. And don't forget, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask when you really wanted to.

Some of us like being helpful and are possibly a little bored right now so you are doing us a service by asking questions.

OP
OP
WillyWill

WillyWill

Regular
@WillyWill how's it going?
I didn't go near it yesterday. Mother's Day, you know. ;)
I have loosened the hex bolt, gotten enough cable loose to be able to insert the noodle properly. I had marked the cable before loosening the bolt, so I knew where to return it so it was at the same location as it was when it left the shop. Tightened the hex bolt after ensuring cable was in proper location.
NOW, both brake pads are resting against the rim. No space at all between them and the rim, kind of like I have the brake on lightly. Obviously, THAT's NOT RIGHT.
If ever I get the brakes right, I swear I will never remove the wheel again. ugggghhhh

OP
OP
WillyWill

WillyWill

Regular
Here's a fact @WillyWill - most of us were beginners once and some of us are still beginners at bike maintenance. And don't forget, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask when you really wanted to.

Some of us like being helpful and are possibly a little bored right now so you are doing us a service by asking questions.
Thank you, Alicat. I really appreciate your words - and help.

OP
OP
WillyWill

WillyWill

Regular
The hex bolt on one of the arms is the clamp. Loosen off a little and let some cable slip through as you hold the brake arms. Then tighten up.

Google "adjusting v brakes" - loads on there
That's done; but now the brake pads are resting against the rim of the wheel, without me touching the brake lever. Wheel cannot spin freely now.

alicat

Legendary Member
Could you post some pics if you have enough permissions now? At the brake end and at the lever end.

OP
OP
WillyWill

WillyWill

Regular
This. If the brakes are then too loose, use the adjuster on the lever to bring it back. You are ideally aiming to have the lever approximately parallel to the bars when the brake is engaged. The adjuster has two parts, a barrel and a lock ring. Unscrew the barrel a turn or two and see how that feels. When correct, turn the lockring back against the lever housing. Voila!
"Almost" Voila! Gee, I feel like I might be getting closer. Just went out, and followed your procedure above. Had to turn the adjuster as far as I could, but by doing that, I now have the left brake (when facing the bike) so that it actually moves when I squeeze the brake lever. When I am not squeezing the lever, there is a tiny amount of space between that brake pad and the rim.
On the other side though, that pad doesn't move at all when I squeeze the brake lever.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
"Almost" Voila! Gee, I feel like I might be getting closer. Just went out, and followed your procedure above. Had to turn the adjuster as far as I could, but by doing that, I now have the left brake (when facing the bike) so that it actually moves when I squeeze the brake lever. When I am not squeezing the lever, there is a tiny amount of space between that brake pad and the rim.
On the other side though, that pad doesn't move at all when I squeeze the brake lever.
Ok so you need a little more slack, so need to loosen the clamp bolt at the brake caliper (wheel) end and let out a small amount of cable. if you let out too much, you can wind it back in using the adjuster on the lever that you just slackened (that's the fine tuner for adjustment).

use the fine tuner so you get just a bit of travel on the brake levers before the brakes come on, but the pads aren't rubbing at all when the lever isnt being used.

OP
OP
WillyWill

WillyWill

Regular
Could you post some pics if you have enough permissions now? At the brake end and at the lever end.
Attached. FYI, I was able to rotate the adjuster by the brake lever sufficiently that now the left brake (when I am facing the bike) will move a little when I squeeze the brake lever, and it does not touch the rim when the lever is not engaged. HOWEVER, the right brake pad does not move at all when I squeeze the lever. I cannot move the adjuster any further.

Attachments

• 20210510_082552_resized.jpg
    20210510_082552_resized.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210510_082618_resized.jpg
    20210510_082618_resized.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210510_082634_resized.jpg
    20210510_082634_resized.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 12

T4tomo

Legendary Member
see post #28. also if the gaps (left and right) are slightly uneven, you can either live with it, or twiddle the black screws in pic 2 post #29 half a turn or so to "balance" them. just watch which way the gap moves as you turn the screw!

Top Bottom