Norms for energy inputs, eg drinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PDK1

Hello all

I’m not new to regular cycling. I’ve been commuting 15 miles a day (total, half that each way) for a decade. But since the lockdown I’ve no need to commute so I’ve started doing fewer but longer rides. by the way, I’m 49.
Today I did a 40 mile ride and noticed that the last 10 were really difficult. And also felt super tired, and generally quite crap, when I got home. Better now.
So would this kind of ride need energy inputs or is it just normal to feel lousy after stepping up in distance?
Thanks for any advice that you might have!

vickster

Legendary Member
What did you eat and drink on the ride? And before the ride? And after?

Reactions: mjr

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'd need something on a ride of that length and I think most people would.

Drinking is important and easy to overlook as you don't feel thirsty until your already dehydrating.
You can get all manner of sports energy bars and drinks, but some flapjack is as good as anything for a simple to carry way to top up your energy levels.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Congratulations on your first bonk! Also known as hunger knock, aka the man with the hammer.

I tend to eat a bit of flapjack after 90 minutes and every 60 thereafter, plus keep sipping the water as frequently as I remember. At least 800ml for 50-60 miles in cool/cloudy weather, plus about 250 at the halfway cafe stop, and more when it's hot (I stick a half litre collapsible bottle in my saddlebag). Then a nutty snack as soon a I get home.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
For this distance I would have a bowl of porridge for breakfast - 60g of oats - plus 750ml of water to drink at breakfast. I carry and would drink 1.5 litres of water. I have an emergency flapjack in my pocket.

Once we move up to 50/60 miles a cafe stop is required. 😀

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'd easily get through two 750ml bidons in that distance. If a ride is long enough to need two bottles I'll fill one with carbohydrate powder like High 5 or similar. I'd also be taking a snack with me, something like a couple of flapjacks or cereal bars, and obviously you need to make sure you've eaten well before you set off. Toast and marmalade, cereal, and some fresh fruit is a good mix.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Not that I'm at all hardcore but I don't tend to have a lot of obvious fuelling issues and just keep a couple of cereal bars in my bag in case I do have problems.

In principal I like "salty squash" (50/50 orange juice and water with a bit of salt) as it has some carbs and salts to replenish your electrolytes, however I don't like it's stickyness when it inevitably finds its way onto the bike so usually just take water.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I never feel crap after riding, because I make sure I don't get dehydrated. Even on a fairly cool day, I always take a drink bottle out on any ride that is likely to go to double digit miles. This morning, I did 17 miles on a MTB at a fairly brisk pace by my standards and drank a pint of water, making brief stops along the way. Even if I don't feel thirsty, I will always have a swig after the first 5 or 6 miles regardless. I don't adulterate my water with anything else and I don't eat during a ride either. The further I ride the more relaxed the pace - I just pootle along. I am not some club rider trying to maintain a set speed in a group, which I think is why I can get away with a water-only regime even on rides that might last 3 hours..

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It will partly be due to you stepping up your distances and your fat burning engine not being up to the task. For 50 miles I don’t need any food or water but then I ride much longer distances. Take a couple of jam butties with you and if you begin to fatigue stop and eat them. The more you ride longer distances the further you’ll be able to go before you will need to eat. When fit and regularly riding long distance I can generally manage about 140 miles before needing to eat. During lockdown this has reduced to 80 miles.

Long distance at low intensity will help improve your fat burning at all intensity levels.

OP
OP
P

PDK1

What did you eat and drink on the ride? And before the ride? And after?
I had a sandwich before the ride and half a pint of water. Then drank most of a litre bottle while riding. I think I may have gone a bit light on food because I didn’t want to feel bloated but clearly there’s a balance that I missed.

thanks all for the excellent advice. Seems like snacking is a common theme. I will definitely get into this! (Daughter’s flapjacks are pretty awesome)

CXRAndy

Guru
Hello all

I’m not new to regular cycling. I’ve been commuting 15 miles a day (total, half that each way) for a decade. But since the lockdown I’ve no need to commute so I’ve started doing fewer but longer rides. by the way, I’m 49.
Today I did a 40 mile ride and noticed that the last 10 were really difficult. And also felt super tired, and generally quite crap, when I got home. Better now.
So would this kind of ride need energy inputs or is it just normal to feel lousy after stepping up in distance?
Thanks for any advice that you might have!

Good porridge breakfast before you ride, take a banana and 2 bottles of water. I usually drink 1 bottle per hour. 40 miles is just over 2 hours for most riders, eat banana at 1 hour mark.

As @YukonBoy suggests more long steady rides trains your body to less requirements to eat food and use body fats to fuel low intensity rides

kalniel

Wow I was about to ask exactly the same question. I've been doing 40-50km about two times a week for a few weeks and I've got my drinking sorted but in the last few kms I start thinking how I can shortcut the route home, which hasn't changed much despite the practise. I haven't yet broken into the emergency chocolate since I'm trying to do this to fat burn.. but sounds like some snacking could be in order.

All uphill

Still rolling along
The best cycling advice I had was to drink before you are thirsty, eat before you are hungry and rest before you are tired.

If I feel hungry or thirsty it is probably too late to recover without an hour's rest.

Doing that I can keep going all day (at my usual slowish pace)

Top Bottom