Norms for energy inputs, eg drinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kipster

Guru
Lots of good ideas above, you need to learn what works for you, a bit of trial and error. I prefer real food to energy bars, I have a gel that I take with me, it’s done the same mileage as me this year.

I did a 63 mile ride today, a bit of breakfast (fruit, yoghurt and granola), a banana at about hour into the ride, I wouldn’t normally stop but today I did at 2 hours at a bakery and had a sausage roll, on the homeward leg I had a few dried apricots. Staying hydrated is important, but needs vary. I ride with people who will take 2*750ml bottles and need a refill. I don’t seem to need much, today I still had drink left in a 500ml bottle. This isn’t a good thing.

DRM

Guru

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Just done this lumpy 40 miler on a warm morning. 750ml bottle with SIS hydration tab and 2 Dextrosol.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vmqX1jXEYLv

Brekkie was 2 fried eggs and a cuppa.
We’re all a bit different, but unless going balls to the wall, 40 miles should be OK on water or an energy drink. Dextrosol tabs are a secret weapon....

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I haven't yet broken into the emergency chocolate since I'm trying to do this to fat burn.. but sounds like some snacking could be in order.

I like chocolate and I like sweets, especially jelly babies - so I deliberately avoid taking these things out with me. I know exactly what would happen; I would always be aware they were there, then after a couple of hours I would decide I deserved a treat and I would demolish the whole lot. There's no half measures with sweet stuff, if I've got it on hand I'll eat it, so I don't have it with me on the bike.

si_c

Guru
I'd say you're just not used to the distance yet and probably went out a bit faster than you should have done given your fitness level.

That's all part of the learning curve of stepping up to greater distances, you learn what works for you and how to pace yourself over a given distance. There are a few strategies you can use to try to stop this happening in the future, one might be to try carrying a banana and eating it after about 15-20 miles and see if that helps or consciously control your speed - if you are used to keeping a steady 15mph on the flat then drop that to 12-13mph for longer rides and see if that helps, or both.

You'll figure it out the more you ride distances like that and once you know how your body responds you will know what you need to do to step it up to longer distances again.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Not a fan of GCN then? :laugh: If you set aside the fact a lot of their experiments are far from scientific, some of their stuff is quite entertaining.

Brooks

I really don't know a thing about energy drinks or gels but I do have a bowl of porridge with honey before a ride. Like many have already mentioned drink plenty of water.
I think some days were not up for a long ride and the body tells us this. I went for a ride this morning and really felt it on the hills, I'm a bit of a lump but I never really felt at my best at all on the ride. I think we all have those off days and it's nothing to worry about.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think some days were not up for a long ride and the body tells us this.

It can work both ways; yesterday I did just shy of 17 miles in the morning, then I had had enough but went out later in the evening bringing the daily total to 23 miles. Today I went out this morning with the intention of doing 15 miles and ended up doing 23 in one hit, and I still feel energetic enough to do a few more miles this evening, so probably 30+ today. Similar wind & weather conditions, so no reason why today felt easier.

Brooks

Your right John I did 28 miles yesterday and really felt it for some reason. And last week I went down to Gravesend and back and felt I had a good few miles still in the tank.😀
Some good weather this week should bring us all out!

jimjav

I was a novice 15 months ago and it has took me some time to get on how to eat during the rides.
As I am Spanish, I knew the drinking bit, but I was always unsure on the eating.
Now my breakfast is around 50 gr of oats on a porridge with a banana and some peanut butter plus a coffee. During the ride, I take some gels or cereal bars after the first hour and after that I try to eat something more every 40 minutes.
With my current routine, I am taking for a 3 hours ride, a cereal bar, a banana and 2 gels. On the water side, I use around 600 ml of liquid with salt and sugar. I am sure that when I can go back to ride with the club and we can stop for a coffee and cake I will need a bit less food on my back.

take care
Javier

Mattk50

MattK50
I've bought my first lot of gels today. I flag on the hour mark on the trainer and I notice a banana or two perks me up. I'll try the gels tomorrow but at 1.90 a pop they are a lot more expensive than a couple of bananas!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've bought my first lot of gels today. I flag on the hour mark on the trainer and I notice a banana or two perks me up. I'll try the gels tomorrow but at 1.90 a pop they are a lot more expensive than a couple of bananas!

They are, especially bought individually. I try not to buy them in ones.... I'll occasionally buy one of those High5 mixed gel boxes, they're 8 gels for 5 pounds. Or the High5 event boxes are good when they're in Aldi, they have maybe 5 gels, 4 or 5 powders, the zero tabs, energy bars and a free 750ml bottle, the whole box is I think under a tenner. I believe they're cheap in Halfords too.

I try to see gels as an emergency ration, I do carry a couple because they're easy to pocket but it's only carried just in case I'm feeling empty, they get taken on many rides before they eventually get used.

Last edited:

Mattk50

MattK50
Or the High5 event boxes are good when they're in Aldi, they have maybe 5 gels, 4 or 5 powders, the zero tabs, energy bars and a free 750ml bottle, the whole box is I think under a tenner.
I will look out for this when I'm next in Aldi. In truth, the bike shop man spent a good 10 mins discussing saddle positioning with me that I felt compelled to buy something for his good advice.

Top Bottom