North Pole Conundrum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Never trust Garmin.

NP_4358.JPG

"That's a typical shabby Nazi trick, you see the sort of people we're up against Wilson."

You need to get a globe and a piece of string, and draw a circle from the stone to find likely candidates.
You can do that on Google maps. It provides a digital string you can pull around. That's how I worked out Japan was roughly the right distance from Lanarkshire.

As a bonus, because it uses a Mercator (I think) projection, you get the pleasure of watching the line bend as you move it to stick to the great circle.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Write a letter to the local paper.
Someone will know the answer.

[QUOTE 4989682, member: 9609"]I don't think either google maps or google earth are mercator maps, they are looking at the earth as a sphere. Hence the rhumb line appears as a curve; when it leaves the UK it is heading NE and when it arrives in Japan it is heading SE

or am I completely misunderstanding what you are trying to tell me? ^_^[/QUOTE]
Google earth is a sphere. Google maps is flat.

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 19.48.51.jpg

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 4988694, member: 9609"]I pass this marker every few weeks and it puzzles me, its only 2375 to the north pole, so why the obvious effort for something that is so wrong? is it from somewhere else, if so where ?
There is never anyone to ask but tonight I thought my luck was in with someone passing by, but he thought the sign must be right as it was carved in stone.

View attachment 377565 [/QUOTE]

Hmm.

It's 5,605 miles from Guder, Ethiopia to he North Pole
http://dateandtime.info/distancenorthpole.php?id=335733

It's 5,325km from my place to North Pole, New York

Top Bottom