North Sea coast.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
Hi first post.

I'm going to retire in a couple of years time, so I'm planning on a longer tour to celebrate. From where I live I can cycle to Newcastle/North Shields in a couple of days, from there I can get the ferry to Amsterdam. The idea is to follow the coast to Denmark up to the top of Jutland. Then I can use the Esbjerg - Immingham ferry to get back home. This trip is very much at the dreaming it up stage so now I need to add some details.

Has anyone done a similar route, Eurovelo 12 (I think) covers most of it? Any tips or pointers to useful information would be most welcome.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You cannot use the Esjberg Immingham ferry to get back. It is only for goods transport. You will not get on it with a bike. There is no way round it. If there was I would have found it, because I am originally from Hull.

But you can fly back with Ryanair from Billund to Stansted..

Debade

Über Member
2015 we (DW) rode from Edinburgh to Coppehagen mostly on Euro 12. A nice mostly flat ride but not one of our favorites. Views of the sea were oftened blocked by the dike. And avoiding sheep dropping and passing through gates lost its charm.

Having said that I am not unhappy I rode the route but knowing what I know now, I might have put it lower on my list.

toffee

Guru
Hi first post.

I'm going to retire in a couple of years time, so I'm planning on a longer tour to celebrate. From where I live I can cycle to Newcastle/North Shields in a couple of days, from there I can get the ferry to Amsterdam. The idea is to follow the coast to Denmark up to the top of Jutland. Then I can use the Esbjerg - Immingham ferry to get back home. This trip is very much at the dreaming it up stage so now I need to add some details.

Has anyone done a similar route, Eurovelo 12 (I think) covers most of it? Any tips or pointers to useful information would be most welcome.
Having just left Skagen yesterday I can tell you that a lot of people have the same idea. Lots of cycle tourists going and leaving. Very windy and lots of heavy storms at the moment. Just thankful that the bike are on the back of the motorhome. Saw some very wet cyxlii this morning.

OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Über Member
2015 we (DW) rode from Edinburgh to Coppehagen mostly on Euro 12. A nice mostly flat ride but not one of our favorites. Views of the sea were oftened blocked by the dike. And avoiding sheep dropping and passing through gates lost its charm.

Was it like that all the way or was it just bad in places?

snorri

Legendary Member
Oh boo. I was hoping to avoid flying.
You could always cycle, it's not so far when retired!
It might be advisable to take an inland route when travelling east to west in order to avoid the head winds along the coast which are not uncommon in the summer months
EV 12 follows a tortuous route and much as I like visiting ports and harbours on my cycle tours, I would consider this route to be tedious. It sticks relentlessly to the coast and fails to give an overall view of the country by avoiding for the most part the larger conurbations.
Of course it's not possible to advise others without knowing what they want to get out of a tour:smile:.

OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Über Member
Well it looks like I'll have to research which ways could be put together to cover the distance. I could always get the train back to Amsterdam at the end. Still plenty of time to think about it.

snorri

Legendary Member
Well it looks like I'll have to research which ways could be put together to cover the distance. I could always get the train back to Amsterdam at the end. Still plenty of time to think about it.
There's a risk that with so much time to think you could talk yourself out of it!
I'm assuming you have not cycled in mainland Europe before? If this is the case, might I suggest you take a short holiday next summer and cycle the length of the Lf1, which runs between Den Helder in NL and Boulogne in France. This route is signposted throughout and gives the option of going out on the Newcastle - Ijmuiden ferry and back on a cross channel ferry to Dover or some other Channel port or vice versa. It is mainly on segregated paths or roads with only light motorised traffic giving a gentle but realistic introduction to foreign cycle touring.
It was my foreign starter a good number of years ago and an excellent confidence booster for further travels on a bike:smile:.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think the North Sea cycle route in Denmark is boring. Admittedly, there are some nice places. But a lot of it is much of a muchness and if you get a headwind, it can last for days and there is no escape.

There is a better cycle route in my opinion.

https://www.haervej.com/ln-int/haervej/detailed-maps-ancient-road-haervejen.

Island hopping in the South of Denmark is popular and you can sail over from Germany.

You can also travel by Flixbus. Its much cheaper than train. But you need to book your bike in advance.

https://global.flixbus.com/?wt_mc=a...4vTGZorpX3miWGbKJK-z4RpDBQYkXBeEaAndbEALw_wcB

Last edited:
There are a few options for island hopping which you should take.
N Germany is probably the most samey section, riding between dyke and polder on concrete road. Denmark has lots of forests trail segments.
Not as spectacular as some areas but I enjoyed the trip. It is an easy intro to touring with plenty of camping. In Denmark look for the small campsite guide Overnatning in der Frei from tourist info.

Top Bottom